Filing 2017 Taxes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finished up my taxes last week using Credit Karma. The same FREE online tool I use to help track my credit activity and score. Credit Karma also provide the free service of filing both federal and state taxes. Did I mention this was free and there is not an income limit?

The filing went smoothly. I have been using TaxSlayer.com and had used them for several years, but they have raised their filing fee to pay for all their advertising and sporting sponsorships. I probably saved $75 in fees using Credit Karma.

The only issue I ran into was finding the form to input my 2016 state refund, which really wasn't an issue, but if I didn't know I needed to input it, I may have skipped it accidentally.

Anyway, if you want to file your taxes for free with no strings attached, I would recommend Credit Karma for this and to track your credit activity and status.

Looks like I should see my refund by the end of the week! That was fast!
upload_2018-2-7_7-30-38.png

upload_2018-2-7_7-30-16.png

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a friend who has a bookkeeping business. We let him do ours. I don't mind the fee. Doing my part to support small business, I guess.

I have wondered how easy the CreditKarma thingee was to use. When John passes (he's over 70) I'll probably go the CreditKarma route. Thanks for the post.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the Credit Karma tip. I'm moving away from using a CPA to doing it myself (again). Did you happen to notice if it was open to using all forms such as those for reporting from a K-1?

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
I've been using a local (actually just down the street) CPA for many years. I don't mind the fee because he's pulled my fat out of the fire in 2010 (wasn't my fault, or his) when my taxes got filed incorrectly because I wasn't sent some W-2s I was supposed to have gotten for 2009. He dealt with the IRS and got all the penalties and late fees dropped.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Braggs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wow, if you didn't have a bunch of other posts, I'd say you were an employee of their company. That seriously sounded like an advertisement wording straight from the marketing department.

Make no mistake, nothing is free. Credit Karma is a lead generation company. They harvest your personal information to sell it to 3rd party companies for a profit. You should read the fine print in their terms of service and privacy policy. Not only will they advertise to you directly, but they will use the data and share with their partner companies.

upload_2018-2-7_16-8-19.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom