Finally joined the 1911 Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still like my RIA tactical. Nothing fancy but it goes bang when I want it to.

I'd rather have an RIA than a big expensive fancy 1911. I'd be too scared to take it out of the damn safe! And I bet the RIA doesn't shoot any different than a 3k+ gun either, at least not enough to justify the cost.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd rather have an RIA than a big expensive fancy 1911. I'd be too scared to take it out of the damn safe! And I bet the RIA doesn't shoot any different than a 3k+ gun either, at least not enough to justify the cost.

well that depends on what you want to do with it. IMHO if you just stand still and plink once a month or so with it maybe so,but if you want to train a lot and run it in competition,shoot 50,000 rounds through it there is a heck of a lot of difference. Also one more thing if you try to do enough work to the cheaper 1911 to get it to preform like a les bear,wilson ,ed brown ,nighthawk you will never get it back,whereas if you buy a high quality like these you will get it back when you sale or trade

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It always cracks me up when people that say this. Granted if it's out of a person's price range, there are plenty of budget 1911s that are great. But someone that justifies one as being just as good as the other..... has little to no experience with them.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck finding 45s, with the gun situation the way it is and the ODWC more than likely limiting the bucks per muzzleloader and gun to 1. I myself am working on the ancient sport of archery. I will not buy a firearm until this all blows over(hoping to the middle of 2013.) I have sent emails to all reps/senators and I am a gun lover at heart. I just plan on making love to my compound bow from now until next October.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you are spot on GM except it doesnt have to be out of there price range I thought it was too much $$ when i got my range officer ( 699.00 ) now I have wilson,kimbers, probably about 25 1911s.there should be a surgoen general warning on ALL 1911s caution the use of 1911s have been linked to many cases of severe to moderate GAS

GAS=gun acquesition syndrome

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well that depends on what you want to do with it. IMHO if you just stand still and plink once a month or so with it maybe so,but if you want to train a lot and run it in competition,shoot 50,000 rounds through it there is a heck of a lot of difference. Also one more thing if you try to do enough work to the cheaper 1911 to get it to preform like a les bear,wilson ,ed brown ,nighthawk you will never get it back,whereas if you buy a high quality like these you will get it back when you sale or trade

It always cracks me up when people that say this. Granted if it's out of a person's price range, there are plenty of budget 1911s that are great. But someone that justifies one as being just as good as the other..... has little to no experience with them.

As someone who spent a couple of years shooting old government surplus 1911s that you could shake and listen to the slide rattle, the RIA Tactical is a vast improvement and almost as good as a custom 1911 I owned back in the early 80s. If I was into competitive shooting I might feel differently but for my needs as a defensive sidearm and occasional plinker is just fine.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yep you are right I don't have experience with premium 1911's. I have only owned a GI spec RIA. But to me that gun was near perfect. My only gripes were the sights. I have been shown real nice Wilson and Les Baer custom 1911's and the first thing I ask them is "When was the last time you shot it?" Most can't even remember, only one person answered that he had shot his within the past year. I'm too poor to own safe queens, everything I own gets shot or it gets sold.

Latest posts

Top Bottom