Fire mission Tulsa. Save the Brady name.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just rename Brady, MLK, and north Tulsa, Little Detroit, and we're good-to-go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They've already renamed North Cincinnati to MLK Blvd within the last year. Pretty much reaffirming that whatever city you're in MLK is a street you probably don't want to be on.

The Brady District can stay the Brady District for all I care. They're not going to change what happened in Tulsa nearly a hundred years ago by renaming it.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since this street offends certain people we should ban street names. Or at least two-way streets. Does anyone really *need* two-way streets? After all, one way is enough to get you where you're going. Then again, we should probably go ahead and just ban streets altogether. That way no one would be offended.

Is my post ridiculous? Why, yes. Yes it is. Just as ridiculous as this effort to rename a street.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think it's an insidious plot by Smith and Wesson hardliners to get back at Brady, who was a Colt .38 Police Positive Special man.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Since this street offends certain people we should ban street names. Or at least two-way streets. Does anyone really *need* two-way streets? After all, one way is enough to get you where you're going. Then again, we should probably go ahead and just ban streets altogether. That way no one would be offended.

Is my post ridiculous? Why, yes. Yes it is. Just as ridiculous as this effort to rename a street.

Stop it! Don't give 'em any ideas!

They already have a master plan and are about a step away from converting any street with more than two lanes of vehicular traffic down to two lanes with the closed former automobile lanes to be dedicated to buses(no one rides), bicycles, pedestrians, food trucks and sidewalk cafes:

http://www.planitulsa.org/files/tulsa-comp-plan-Transpo-062910.pdf

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh I'm a long time midtown Tulsan and the Brady, Blue Dome, and Greenwood all run together these days. To distinguish between them is splitting hairs.

Seems like somebody voting on a issue that affects the bottom lines of a retail business district just across the railroad tracks from their own business district who competes for the same retail customers would be a conflict of interest or ethical violation of some sort.

An honorable person in this position would do the honorable thing and recuse from voting.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I happen to work in the historic Brady/Archer - Greenwood area. It's a great place to be, day or night, now that Tate Brady is gone, the streets are safe.

I do have a question - if the area was so successful and wealthy (Black Wall Street), prior to 1921, why hasn't it been rebuilt since? Were the economic opportunities better for blacks prior to 1921 than in the years 1922-2013?

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I happen to work in the historic Brady/Archer - Greenwood area. It's a great place to be, day or night, now that Tate Brady is gone, the streets are safe.

I do have a question - if the area was so successful and wealthy (Black Wall Street), prior to 1921, why hasn't it been rebuilt since? Were the economic opportunities better for blacks prior to 1921 than in the years 1922-2013?

It pretty much was. The riot severely injured and disabled Greenwood, injuries it was slowly but surely recovering from. Urban renewal, the federal model cities program and OSU Tulsa are what really killed the Greenwood District:

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid:17408

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Karen Gilbert and Jeannie Cue both emailed me back thanking me for dropping them a note to thank them for voting against the name change of Brady Street.

Byron "Skip" Steele who is my district council person will not receive my support at election time. I don't know if I have the stomach for politics in the city arena but since councilors by and large tend to run unopposed it may be time to think about getting more involved in local events.

From Byron Steele

Thanks for the letter of concern and I have heard from the business owners along Brady and several were there last night. I do have concerns over costs concerning the changing of the name but of course that is why the business owners are against the change. I will continue to vote to have the name of Tate Brady removed from the street because it is the right thing to do. We as a city put peoples names on city property to honor them. Tate Brady was not an honorable man. In fact he was anything but honorable. So I understand where you are but I would invite you to Google his name or look him up at the local library and write me back if you still feel that the street name should remain.

Thanks again for writing,
Skip Steele

His attempt to deflect and place the cost of a name change as a reason Brady District/Street business' is a red herring. Is the city going to bill them for new street signs? Who did they bill for the Martin Luther King street signs? FYI I will never call it MLK it will always be North Cincinnati to me. Why did the city only change it on the north side and not the south side as well?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom