First-World Problems Are The Worst...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as using the service, I can't tell any difference over AT&T which costs over twice as much. Their customer service is horrible. I had AT&T before moving here.

Several people have told me US Cellular is the best here but I guess they roam on other networks outside Oklahoma? That's what I was told by someone that uses their service...haven't looked to see if that's true.

If you are in pontotoc county near Francis, then yes US cellular works best out that way, esp on hwy 99 north from byng onwards.

ATT works pretty decent out that way compared to many years ago, but theres a lot oh hills and bottoms out that way to deal with.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are in pontotoc county near Francis, then yes US cellular works best out that way, esp on hwy 99 north from byng onwards.

ATT works pretty decent out that way compared to many years ago, but theres a lot oh hills and bottoms out that way to deal with.

The hills are part of the problem. We're on the back side of a hill that's substantially taller than our house. All of the towers are on that side of the hill because that's where most of the population is (Ada, Byng, etc...).

Makes for a nice place to live but poor internet and phone service is the price of admission. Still worth it.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Part of the downside of living in a rural area is the lack of choices when it comes to things like internet and cell phone service.

Cell coverage is barely adequate at our home, even with a booster. But at least it works most of the time.

I had to go back to satellite internet. HughesNet, to be specific. Satellite internet is a small step up from dial-up. I last had satellite internet in the early 2000s living in the Colorado mountains. It sucked then and in 20 years it really hasn't improved. It has, however, increased in price for the same crappy service.

It's supposed to be 25 mbps download speeds. It actually averages more than that...when it's actually downloading something. I can't even play a 1 minute YouTube video thru the first time without buffering about every 10 seconds. It really sucks.

I've pre-ordered Starlink...but the website says it may not be available until next year sometime.

Oh, well. I'd rather live in a rural area with bad cell phone and internet service than a city. Guess that's just part of the cost of admission to the lifestyle choices.

I hope you all can appreciate the suffering some of us go through, though. I'd like to see some celebrity do one of those "starving kids in Africa" type of video for those of us with bad internet in rural areas. Might help our plight...

:cry11:
This was our problem years back. The atlink service we purchased was a 6 up 6 down package. But we never saw that and there were times when 1. something is what we had. We're about 4 miles from an att tower, I ended up buying a modem off ebay and have been using it for a good spell now. Middle of nowhere internet, a fellow named Kevin. Our mbps varies but it's not uncommon for me to to see 40+ down and typically 5-7 up.
https://www.bbb.org/us/al/decatur/profile/internet-service/middle-of-nowhere-internet-0513-900266449

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I frequently drop calls, even when standing next to my booster.

The upside is that I can take a whiz in 360 degrees off of my porch without having to worry about anybody taking offense.
But wouldn't some of those 360 degrees involve whizzing on your own house?
ETA. LOL. Just call it power washing. Ha!

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But wouldn't some of those 360 degrees involve whizzing on your own house?
ETA. LOL. Just call it power washing. Ha!

Not really, I just meant I have no neighbors within eyesight in 360 degrees of my house. The only thing that gets power washed are the unsuspecting fire ants when I find a mound :D. My super power out here is being able to turn fire ants into piss ants.

That 360 degree rule would work for about 400 yards in any direction, and over a mile in several.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was our problem years back. The atlink service we purchased was a 6 up 6 down package. But we never saw that and there were times when 1. something is what we had. We're about 4 miles from an att tower, I ended up buying a modem off ebay and have been using it for a good spell now. Middle of nowhere internet, a fellow named Kevin. Our mbps varies but it's not uncommon for me to to see 40+ down and typically 5-7 up.
https://www.bbb.org/us/al/decatur/profile/internet-service/middle-of-nowhere-internet-0513-900266449
I was using Kevin's modem for a couple of years, but there is a cheaper option now. ZBT WE826-T2 EM12-G Wireless MODEM ROUTER UNLIMITED HOTSPOT TMOBILE AT&T VERIZON | eBay Use this item with a $20 a month ATT tablet plan. Tell the seller you would like an Ipad IMEI loaded onto it and tell ATT you are using the plan for an Ipad. T-mobile has a $10 a month business tablet plan, but I don't have t-mobile reception in my area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom