Foggy Bottoms/Oklahoma Tourism

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something smells fishy with this whole deal. To me anyway, it appears legit but I’m suspicious that there is politics involved a politician with a grudge had some muscle and pulled strings. The state parks system is in shambles and has fallen behind in upkeep and the facilities are sub-par. I don’t know all the details but the state moved very quickly to shut it down and it just stinks of politics to me.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like contracts like these should be relegated to small business owners. A kid with a cooler of drinks and some snacks could turn a reasonable profit for themselves. Plus keep the politicians and my tax dollars out of it.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I live close to the Robber's Cave state park and it was getting a well needed makeover. Plus the restaurant was great and the service was always great as well. There is not much in Wilburton and this place brought in a lot of jobs that was needed. I personally never dealt with the state as a contractor or anything like that, but known a few people that have and know several people that work or had work for/with the state. I don't think that what Swadley's was doing was all above the board. I also think that the state should have been paying better attention and not paying invoice that didn't have the right documentation attached. Like if you buy something with those funds you need to be able to produce 3 bids or invoice for those items. Swadley's didn't seem to do this, but the state should have never paid if this was not submitted.
I also think that this money was from the Covid relief money that was sent out to the states to help with whatever. So this is not just the Oklahoman taxpayers dollar, this was federal. I don't know that for sure, but to me IMO it makes the most since they entered into the contract March of 2020. The state didn't have that money to feed into this project without that federal money.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live close to the Robber's Cave state park and it was getting a well needed makeover. Plus the restaurant was great and the service was always great as well. There is not much in Wilburton and this place brought in a lot of jobs that was needed. I personally never dealt with the state as a contractor or anything like that, but known a few people that have and know several people that work or had work for/with the state. I don't think that what Swadley's was doing was all above the board. I also think that the state should have been paying better attention and not paying invoice that didn't have the right documentation attached. Like if you buy something with those funds you need to be able to produce 3 bids or invoice for those items. Swadley's didn't seem to do this, but the state should have never paid if this was not submitted.
I also think that this money was from the Covid relief money that was sent out to the states to help with whatever. So this is not just the Oklahoman taxpayers dollar, this was federal. I don't know that for sure, but to me IMO it makes the most since they entered into the contract March of 2020. The state didn't have that money to feed into this project without that federal money.

1) The State Parks Lodges are a money pit (From News article they each average loosing 500K a year
2) With out a restaurant that draws customer your lodge losses money
3) 25 Contracter's would not put in a bid of remodeling
4) Swadleys had two contracts one to remodel and they add 15-20 % for Overseeing work (Normal)
5) Runing restaurant contract the state agreed to rereimburse Swadleys up to 1.2 Million for losses for 6 restaurants
6) Without a restaurant loss on lodges would be more that the 1.2 Million (So it saved the state money)

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
1) The State Parks Lodges are a money pit (From News article they each average loosing 500K a year
4) Swadleys had two contracts one to remodel and they add 15-20 % for Overseeing work (Normal)
5) Runing restaurant contract the state agreed to rereimburse Swadleys up to 1.2 Million for losses for 6 restaurants
6) Without a restaurant loss on lodges would be more that the 1.2 Million (So it saved the state money)
Yes I would agree most parks are money pits, why would they now charge to park. Also I agree that restaurants bring in people which brings in money for the park, not enough but some. Like I said I dont think that Swadley's was on the up and up with this. And the state should have never agreed with the 1.2 million for losses. Again the fault lies on both parties. Where I disagree with you is that there would have been some, maybe not 25 contractors that would have put bids in for work at the parks. I know of three around this area that told me they wish they could have gotten in on some of that work. One to have somewhat constant work, and two to hire more people. Not to mention all the people that was working at the restaurants that now are no longer employed.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I would agree most parks are money pits, why would they now charge to park. Also I agree that restaurants bring in people which brings in money for the park, not enough but some. Like I said I dont think that Swadley's was on the up and up with this. And the state should have never agreed with the 1.2 million for losses. Again the fault lies on both parties. Where I disagree with you is that there would have been some, maybe not 25 contractors that would have put bids in for work at the parks. I know of three around this area that told me they wish they could have gotten in on some of that work. One to have somewhat constant work, and two to hire more people. Not to mention all the people that was working at the restaurants that now are no longer employed.
https://kfor.com/news/local/swadleys-speaks-out-after-calls-for-investigation-into-state-contract/The State invited 25 Contractors (Not subcontracts) to Bid
The other 24 did not want the problems

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://kfor.com/news/local/swadleys-speaks-out-after-calls-for-investigation-into-state-contract/The State invited 25 Contractors (Not subcontracts) to Bid
The other 24 did not want the problems
That doesn't say anything about contractors. "They said of the 25 businesses approached, Swadley’s was the only one that bid on the contract."
A sign that the state and Swadley's should have known better, when no one else wants to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

This is what audits are for, and if everyone behaved as they should... Everyone will be fine.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A smarter idea, don't have state park lodges.

The state agreed to reimburse 1.2 million a year, it reimbursed 2.1 million in 2021. That should be looked at. It doesn't pass the smell test.

"Those payments include $2.1 million to cover operating losses in 2021. The current contract requires the state to pay up to $1.2 million for annual operating losses."

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The contract was amended to 2.1 when Swadleys took over additions State Parks Restaurants

Until we see on the News that several Departments Heads are fired and loss of pension including all state employees who worked on Contract and Approved it Swadleys is the whipping boy for the ones that should be fired

Latest posts

Top Bottom