Ford 2.3 turbo question, mechanics step in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh wow, I used to have one of those. Well, my ex did I should say. A Merkur XR4TI. That car leaked or burned every fluid it had other than brake fluid. I'm not that brave anymore but I hope you get it sorted out!

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it didn't pop before, it is highly unlikely to be a cam lobe issue. It is most likely a timing issue. As was already said, the turbo engine timing is less than an NA (naturally aspirated) engine, typically about 5-6 degrees less timing (at about 2,000 rpm) for a turbo. Check your specs and make sure you are square on the cam timing with the new belt.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't a Honda, it a free-roller, meaning the pistons and valves can't touch at TDC with the valves fully open. The only way it bent a valve is if something got inside the chamber and caused it.

This is either a timing issue or ignition issue. Have you checked the cap and rotor? What about the plug wires? They could be arching across each other.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I would scrap the compression check idea (45min test) then. It's not possible to have a bent valve. Plug wires crossing/grounding out usually causes engines to cough up out of the intake.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I havent done anything with the car yet as i havent had time. But that being said yes it is a non interference motor and i seriously doubt a valve is bent. I seriously think its in the timing. My friend told me he put new plugs and wires on it recently before it jumped time.

To make matters worse my Brake on/off switch on my daily driver bit the dust between fri and mon night. So now it wont shift out of park n the brake lights dont work. So not i gotta fix that too, thank god for backup cars.

Latest posts

Top Bottom