Gasoline prices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
U
This is what drives me nuts. I only ever put ethanol free in my vehicles (unless I can't help it). I work from home and I have 2 motorcycles and a truck, so none of them get a lot of miles on them. I insist on ethanol free simply because the gas is going to be sitting around a lot longer than back when I worked in an office. The only reason I don't complain more than I do (other than it wouldn't do any good anyway) is that I fill up each of my vehicles about once a month, so the price doesn't hurt too much. But still.... :-)

Same here but only one motorcycle. But I just can't stomach the cost difference with being out of work for 2 months. I'm fixing to start a project that will have me driving a lot and the cost difference is quite a bit per month. I think the refiners are selling E10 at cost since they are basically forced to blend it and making it up on the good stuff. I'd bet if we got rid of the .gov subsidies the cost of real gas would actually go down some. I know for a fact that E10 would go up.

ETA: I just looked. Now I'm really pissed!

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/commodity/ethanol

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The refinery in Coffyville Ks was flooded out years ago causing a regional spike in gasoline prices. The OKC news outlets were reporting on the flood as the reason for the higher prices.

When the truth came out, that refinery has not produced one drop of gasoline in 10 years prior to the flood, prices quickly dropped. They refine oil to make grease.

Somebody needs to "splain" this.

Speculators...

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hearing rumors of some new drilling, but it won't help gas prices.

I'm getting more leasing and purchase offers in the last month than the rest of the year if you toss out a section I was force pooled in. Lease offers have been both operator and non-op. Still nothing like it was in 2013-mid2014.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a very good area. If you have a fair number of acres you could end up doing quite well in the coming years. Do whatever you can to get as much royalty as possible, even ditch the bonus if rigs are going up around you. Trust me, that is a good area.

I wish some of it was in 2N-4W ;)

Mostly single digit acreage per section but some have a decent amount. I've pretty much leased at 20, 22.5, and reserved 1-4 acres to participate of lease to a non-op upon pooling. All of my 3/16 leases expired early in 2015. I keep pretty good track of it with DI and Pangaea.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis,
Some of what you quote is correct, others are not. I have worked as a contractor in refineries for almost 34 years and have a little bit of insight iso their workings.
Yes, all production facilities schedule for shutdowns on a regular basis. Some are huge complete plant outages and others shut down unit by unit. Most refineries in our area of OK and KS have major shutdowns lasting anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks. They replace aging piping, install new pipe systems, rebuild exchangers and towers. Corrosion etc etc degrade piping systems over time. Average time between refinery shutdowns now runs from 18 to 36 months.
The storage tanks at P66 (conoco) in PC and other cities....there is NO physical indicator of liquid level that can be seen unless within a few feet of the tank. Most have a electronic gauge that sends levels to the control room. Some will have a mechanical level indicator, the numbers on this are typically less than an inch in height.
Coffeyville refinery has always refined crude oil into gasoline. The only refinery still in production in this area that is used primarily for grease (Lube) is the old Sunoco plant in Tulsa. It is now called HollyFrontier West plant. P66 in PC had a lube facility, I believe it is gone now.

DNO

I've worked at the Conoco refinery in the past, and spent my entire working life in plants that do maintenance. Every refinery, power plant, chemical plant, etc have maintenance scheduled years in advance. There are emergency periods when something fails, but it gets fixed pretty quick, and life goes on.

I've never seen the price of pharmaceuticals, Bleach or electricity go up in price when their plants get into their maintenance schedule. Yeah, I know oil is priced on the world market, but Maintenance at a plant has no bearing on supply per say.
I drive by the refinery tank farm almost every day, and look at the levels of refined gasoline. Even when they scream shortage, the majority of the tanks are full. They plan ahead for scheduled maintenance.
The refinery in coffyville Ks was flooded out years ago causing a regional spike in gasoline prices. The OKC news outlets were reporting on the flood as the reason for the higher prices.

When the truth came out, that refinery has not produced one drop of gasoline in 10 years prior to the flood, prices quickly dropped. They refine oil to make grease.

Somebody needs to "splain" this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom