Generators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 5500 watt portable that will run our house in an emergency, furnace blower, refrigerator lights and TV. Bought it before the big rush when they were predicting an ice storm several years ago. That ice storm never happened but it sure came in handy a couple years later when one did happen and we were without electricity for 4 days.

The way I hook my generator up is not the right way so don't follow my example. We have an outside breaker box the feeds everything on the property. I simply added another dual breaker that I hook the generator to. Flip the main to disconnect us from the line then fire up the generator. They make a special lock out that won't allow you to flip the generator breaker on if the main has not been flipped off. I just make sure I have the main flipped off before starting the generator and flipping the generator breaker.

Be sure you wire your generator in the proper way that is to code. The special disconnect box is about $450 plus installation that disconnects from the main power lines when you turn your generator on. Otherwise if you are hooked up to the generator when power lines are down there could be a big problem when they are repaired. The utility company repairman could be repairing the power lines and think the power is off and your generator back-feeds the lines and electrocutes him.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be sure you wire your generator in the proper way that is to code. The special disconnect box is about $450 plus installation that disconnects from the main power lines when you turn your generator on. Otherwise if you are hooked up to the generator when power lines are down there could be a big problem when they are repaired. The utility company repairman could be repairing the power lines and think the power is off and your generator back-feeds the lines and electrocutes him.

Eh, there are plenty of safe and code-acceptable ways to do this that don't cost that much. Unless you're talking about an automatic transfer switch. I just had my whole breaker panel replaced. I had a friend do the work which helped alot, but if your box is up to snuff, you could get a simple setup to allow this with a couple of simple breaker flips for probably half that cost, installed, probably.

With my setup, it is possible to still backfeed, but really, all I have to do is turn off the main breaker and turn on the generator breaker. Two flips, plug in the plug and pull the starter cord. Done.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While in Owasso on Wednesday I decided to shop generators. Lowes had only one left. A display with missing parts. Home Depot sold out of large portables but a had a couple of the small generators. Atwoods at German corner had several but the store in Cushing had none. I opted to take a chance one more time and get exactly what I need later. The main thing we need in a power outage is power to the well.

Atwood's has Honda and Champion. Online reviews of the Champion looked pretty good. Any experience with them?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Atwood's has Honda and Champion. Online reviews of the Champion looked pretty good. Any experience with them?

My neighbor has an RV, and he frequents RV owner forums. He says the general consensus on these forums is that Champion is a significantly better buy than Honda, dollar for dollar.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor has an RV, and he frequents RV owner forums. He says the general consensus on these forums is that Champion is a significantly better buy than Honda, dollar for dollar.

That's what I saw on the RV forums as well. More watts for a lot less money. The Champion also looked to be preferred over the Generac. Honda's and Yamaha's are good and quieter but half the watts for twice the money. I do like the idea of one that is very portable so it will get use other than the once a decade power outage.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the smallest that would run our furnaces and house. 4500 iirc. Fuel consumption was my main concern. That, and the ability to run on NG, Propane and gasoline. This way I can used stored gasoline for my vehicles if shtf.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well aware of the possibility, spent my life in electronics and fully understand how electricity works. I know to flip the main before starting and flipping the generator breaker. If everyone had the sense to do it safely there would be no need for $400.00 transfer switches.

On another note, I remember someone asking about the real possibility of a generator back feeding the grid. Can't remember if it was here or another forum. The thought was how long would it take to trip the breaker on a 5000 watt generator when it was suddenly asked to power every house in the neighborhood. This is what would happen if you tried to back feed the grid.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well aware of the possibility, spent my life in electronics and fully understand how electricity works. I know to flip the main before starting and flipping the generator breaker. If everyone had the sense to do it safely there would be no need for $400.00 transfer switches.

On another note, I remember someone asking about the real possibility of a generator back feeding the grid. Can't remember if it was here or another forum. The thought was how long would it take to trip the breaker on a 5000 watt generator when it was suddenly asked to power every house in the neighborhood. This is what would happen if you tried to back feed the grid.

Not to mention the breaker on the box that your feeding through.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As someone w/33+ years in the trade & a licensed Electrical contractor in OK & Master in TX, I have been inspecting industrial projects & oil & gas for about the last 10yrs or so. Usually, your best bet would be to hire a licensed electrician to do the connections & many places it's illegal for homeowners to DIY. Licensed contractors own the liability, just in case. That said...they may NOT necessarily have the knowledge, merely because they have a license! I have seen some CRAP trying to be passed off!

Since I work out of state most always & seldom home when these power problems show up...I have a Generac 22kW on my house. Auto transfer switch, 500Gal propane tank & it cycles every week automatically. I even had the distributor install it so it would extend my warranty 5 more years! Very nice piece of mind living in these parts!

Latest posts

Top Bottom