Generators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 8000 runs enough for the family and I. Gas furnace, fridge, two lamps, and tv. I bought my generac 8000 watt two years ago and did the natural gas conversion this year. It's not the fancy standby but it is on a transfer switch. The natural gas conversion is nice cause I can still unhook and take it on the road and burn gasoline.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In many situations a battery powered radio will be fine for news and info.

In this particular case tho it was helpful to see the TV coverage, especially the aerial footage of the tornado path, in order for me to estimate in my own mind how extensive the damage was and how long it would probably take to restore services.
Officials usually won't comment on how long it might take and even when they do you can take their press briefings with a large grain of salt.

After viewing the aerial footage of the tornado path my own guesstimate was 10-14 days without power.
I was pleasantly surprised when power came back on after only 6 days.
It took another couple of days to get the NG service restored tho.
That was in the heart of Moore. People on the outskirts probably waited a few more days.

Hobbes what part of Moore were you in? I was east of I35 and about 1/4 mile from the path and my power was only off for about 24 hours and it may have not been that long. I was stunned, I actually left to go get another small inverter generator so I could plug in my flat screen and when I got home everything was back on. Next door neighbor said we never even lost Uverse, her phone worked the entire time. I was thinking like you in that it would be about a week. Poles were down everywhere.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hobbes what part of Moore were you in? I was east of I35 and about 1/4 mile from the path and my power was only off for about 24 hours and it may have not been that long. I was stunned, I actually left to go get another small inverter generator so I could plug in my flat screen and when I got home everything was back on. Next door neighbor said we never even lost Uverse, her phone worked the entire time. I was thinking like you in that it would be about a week. Poles were down everywhere.

18th and City Ave

I heard it coming.
Loud roar that just kept getting louder.
At the last minute, the pitch lowered and I knew it had veered North of me.

I walked out a couple blocks.
Kelly elementary school was rubble.
Gas meters gone and gas lines spewing in the air.

2 blocks from my house there was roof damage to homes.
3 blocks there was major damage.
4 blocks and all that was left was clean concrete slabs, trees with no lmbs or bark even.

Crazy thing, a few years later another one came in 2 blocks South of me that time.
I was in the car headed home on the I35 service road.
Couldnt see anything for heavy driving rain and all of a sudden it popped out of the rain right in front of me.
Generator came in handy again.

Then 2013 and the house in Newalla took a direct hit.
Generator was useless that time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
18th and City Ave

I heard it coming.
Loud roar that just kept getting louder.
At the last minute, the pitch lowered and I knew it had veered North of me.

I walked out a couple blocks.
Kelly elementary school was rubble.
Gas meters gone and gas lines spewing in the air.

2 blocks from my house there was roof damage to homes.
3 blocks there was major damage.
4 blocks and all that was left was clean concrete slabs, trees with no lmbs or bark even.

Crazy thing, a few years later another one came in 2 blocks South of me that time.
I was in the car headed home on the I35 service road.
Couldnt see anything for heavy driving rain and all of a sudden it popped out of the rain right in front of me.
Generator came in handy again.

Then 2013 and the house in Newalla took a direct hit.
Generator was useless that time.
Looking at those monsters coming at you had to be terrifying.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at those monsters coming at you had to be terrifying.

I was living in an apartment on the west side of Stillwater a while back when the tornado that hit the west and then east sides of town came through. I happened to look out the window just as the tornado passed a couple hundred yards south of my apartment. I watched, fascinated, as it approached, but when I put my hand on the window and felt it bowing out, I realized I better take cover. Fortunately for me, no damage but the hotel just southeast of my complex took a major hit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kay county where I live, has one of the highest tornado's per acre stats. Living here all my life, I've seen two, both at a long distance that caused no damage.
Most develop, move along a ways, and dissipate.
Nobody see's them as there is a very low population density in Kay county, but NOAA has a huge antenna array around Billings that records all of the activity.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the years I've lived in OK, I've never seen one, even the times we went out tornado chasin'. On the eastern half of the state most of the bad storm lines seem to come through later afternoon or evening, so it's often dark. Seems like the western half of the state gets 'em more during daylight, as storms fire up and move through earlier int eh afternoon.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab279_forbin09_20150325_comparison_zpseljhuzez.png

Here is a closeup of the 2003 tornado path with my house in the frame.

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab279_forbin09_466021425bb2ee021d0073cb6d319dfc_zpsvsdhfnrk.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom