Gimme yo ribs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can order their dry-rub FYI. I always grab a few bottles of it when I'm in Memphis, but desperate times call for desperate measures sometimes.
Wife orders the dry rub by mail, always have a least 5-6 bottles on hand. She used to put the rub on everything especially popcorn but don't anymore because of low sodium diet. And I put the vinegar on just like they do!

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife orders the dry rub by mail, always have a least 5-6 bottles on hand. She used to put the rub on everything especially popcorn but don't anymore because of low sodium diet. And I put the vinegar on just like they do!
You should try the Roasterie's coffee rub. Salt is second to last on the list of ingredients. In fact, I have to add salt to whatever I'm using it on. I'd prefer to do that anyway. It's a great rub on anything. Beef is best though.

https://www.theroasterie.com/merchandise/culinary/super-tuscan-coffee-barbeque-rub

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
6B1EADFF-DA65-46CA-BBCF-33DCE68C7A0D.jpeg

Here’s my own recipe. I have 3 baby back racks in the smoker now. I typically don’t do a 3-2-1 because I can get more flavor and good bite out of the meat without it but I’m changing a few details in my smoking position, etc with this bbq today just for knowledge purposes.. most competition ribs are spare ribs by the way and are not “fall off the bone” over cooked.

Marinade overnight:

Orange juice (pressed)
Soy
Southern Comfort whiskey
Kosher salt
Onion powder
Apple juice

Heat smoker to 250F

Apply mustard binder
Melted butter
Dillo Dust dry rub
Kosher salt
Crushed black pepper

Smoke for 3-2-1 method this time:
*smoke 3 hours unglazed
*wrap with foil or peach butcher paper, butter and apple juice for 2 hours
*smoke for 1 hour, apply glaze every 15 min

Make glaze:

Sweet baby rays sauce
Juice from 2 oranges
Brown sugar
Molasses
Apple juice
Apple cider vinegar
Cayenne pepper

The wood is a mix of cherry & hickory chips.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not only does a person learn which methods of cooking(smoking/grilling) work best for them.....ya gotta learn how your cooker(smoke/grill) works.

I've had some that run HOT...meaning you must have a water pan or your gonna be eating burnt boot leather.

I've had cookers run cool
..where you wouldn't need a water pan nor do the 321 method.

There's an old saying...How do you get to Carnegie Hall....practice.

How do you cook great bbq.....practice.

* what may work one day...may not the other.

Example:weather....and all sorts of other issues.
This is why I like my BGE. All of this is just not much of a factor. From 110 to 20 degrees and snow on the patio and I'm still able to regulate it just fine.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We like country style ribs. More meat, less bone. I use Head Country rub, sear all sides in a cast iron skillet, covered with aluminum foil and threw in the oven at 400 for a little over an hour. Half way through I uncovered and gave them a little shot of sauce to finish off.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We like country style ribs. More meat, less bone. I use Head Country rub, sear all sides in a cast iron skillet, covered with aluminum foil and threw in the oven at 400 for a little over an hour. Half way through I uncovered and gave them a little shot of sauce to finish off.
Country style ribs are USUALLY just a pork butt roast that's been sliced, but sometimes other cuts are used. I generally take the country style ribs and cube them, then make pork burnt ends out of them. YUM!

Latest posts

Top Bottom