Going to build AR. What websites and advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Son and I are going to try to build an AR. Too many people say how easy and how fun it can be.

Please provide any advice and websites you use. Best suppliers and any tricks of the trade would be appreciated.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Invest in good vice on a rocksteady table and receiver clamps. When building a lower, get a shoebox and be sure that springs and detents are pointed at the shoe box (open end facing you) incase you slip and the springs / detents shoot out. Everyone has lost atleast one detent or spring. After losing springs and lost hours trying to find springs and detents, I now have a box I use as a backstop to capture flying springs and detents.

Invest in roll pin holders/starters and rollpin punches.

AR15.com has a stickied thread that has a guide to building the lowers. Also, youtube is your friend. Just about anything you ever wanted to do or assemble / disassemble has been uploaded to youtube.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You tube is good,

Arfcom has a few good PDF files and such (worthless forum though)

I dont know about suppliers in your area, I know SSP could hook you up.

Alot of other peeps can give you great advice as well here,

In the bixby / BA area, its FBT, or BANG!!!!!

www.fatboytactical.net

www.banationalguns.com

It IS FUN

It IS ADDICTING

And provides excellent bonding for Father and Son!!

Have FUN!!!!!

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be building my first AR soon as well. I acquired a striped lower and will be adding to it slowly part by part.

Good luck with yours, hopefully I can learn from your experience.

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contact the guys at FatBoy Tactical in Bixby. They offer excellent products and even better advice. The wife bought an AR from them and I bought all the pieces. They even advised me on assembling. Great guys!!

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, I would like to build something for hunting, probably a flattop with a 20 inch barrel. Any ideas on barrels for hunting? Not going to be putting thousands of rounds through it. Any pics of your hunting AR for ideas would also be welcome.

Flynraider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tranger,

I'm a recent AR building addict and live in Edmond. I've got all the tools needed provided you have a workbench. I'd be happy to help or loan you any tools you need. Shoot me a PM anytime.

I used this video on my iPad, pausing between steps to do them on my parts, and my first rifle went together quite easily.

+1 on setting up a detent catch. Those things can fly a country mile if they get away from you.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you only building the lower and buying built upper? If you are going to build an upper from parts you will need an upper receiver vise block. When building the lower the roll pins are a PITA, I have a pair of adjustable pliers that make it easy. If you would like to borrow some tools for your build or need some advice you can PM me. I would be happy to help you if I can. I am in Edmond as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom