Going to the Tinker Commissary and PX ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In addition to the above, access to post is not the same as PX/Commissary privileges. If you're allowed base access, you can use the Shoppettes, food court/vendors, and fuel services. You don't need PX/Commissary privileges for that. Class 6 should be the same way
In addition, Vets with SC disabilities and others eligible have access to military base MWR where you can go to movies, bowl, rent boats, kayaks and stay in your RV on Family Camp facilities that have them.
OOPS! Already answered.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off I want to thank everyone that took the time to reply to my question.....much appreciated.

I called the PX a little while ago and was able to talk to a fella that works there and is also retired military and he said that with my current VA card that just says "VA Healthcare Enrollee" under my picture that I would be able to purchase anything I wanted (at both the PX and Commissary tax free) except guns, booze and something else I can't recall.

BUT.

If I get a card that also says "Service Connected", which I guess tells them that I'm a disabled vet, under the "VA Healthcare Enrollee" I will be able to purchase booze, guns and whatever else it was the fella at the PX said.

Just got off the phone with a very nice and helpfull gal at the VA in OKC in the "Eligibility Dept." and she said that the info I was given is correct and that I had two options.....I could either drive up and get a new picture taken for my new card or she could have a new card printed with the "Service Connected" notation on it using my old picture and I told her to just use my old picture for now and when my current card expires in Feb. 2025 I'd drive up and get a new picture taken at that time. She then told me that the card will probably come sooner but if I didn't have it by Oct. 15th to give her a call.

Thanks again to all those that took the time to reply.
Once you get all the bells and whistles connected, you can get online with the PX/BX system and order ammo online. military online shopping for veterans - Bing
I never used it during the covid shortage, but did browse it occasionally seeing there was ammo in stock when it was nonexistent elsewhere.
Tax free too.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
In addition, Vets with SC disabilities and others eligible have access to military base MWR where you can go to movies, bowl, rent boats, kayaks and stay in your RV on Family Camp facilities that have them.
Some of those RV sites are great. The Pendleton RV park is literally on the beach, or at least was when I was stationed there. The Camp Lejeune one is across the street from the beach, and man, they're cheap. I proposed to my wife on the beach at camp Lejeune when we were there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of those RV sites are great. The Pendleton RV park is literally on the beach, or at least was when I was stationed there. The Camp Lejeune one is across the street from the beach, and man, there cheap. I proposed to my wife on the beach at camp Lejeune when we were there.
RV spots in Key West are a few hundred dollars a month. Non-military are a few thousand dollars a month, but you can only stay for two weeks in the hook up areas, then have to move to the no services area and run off generators for a week and get the first come first serve full hook up back for another two weeks. It's a PITA, doing it that way, but it does allow everyone to enjoy some cheap spots in a high price area.
Canyon Lake Joint Base family camp near San Antonio Tx is a great place to stay. Very relaxed rules, and if nobody is coming for your site, you can stay there for awhile. Very inexpensive and beautiful area.
There are apps on the internet about the military RV camp sites. Some first come, first served, and some with reservations. All have good reviews.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, hell... Meant to edit my post and deleted it by mistake. What Dr HK said...

Once you register your VA card, they'll just scan it in the future and you can get on base. You'll still have to get a pass for your wife every time you go.
Not anymore. Since September 2022 they use the "trusted person" policy for occupants of a vehicle being operated by an authorized person.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not anymore. Since September 2022 they use the "trusted person" policy for occupants of a vehicle being operated by an authorized person.

Well that's interesting. We both went out to Tinker last April (I know it was April because the BX had some shoes she wanted for her b-day) and had to get a pass for her. I usually go by myself because of that. I'll definitely try that next time we go out there.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

Sill will use whatever the ThreatCon is for the day and whatever the post commander's mood is. If he's got a stick in his ass or ThreatCon is high, they'll make everyone show IDs

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sill will use whatever the ThreatCon is for the day and whatever the post commander's mood is. If he's got a stick in his ass or ThreatCon is high, they'll make everyone show IDs
Last Friday the spousal unit and I entered from the Air Depot gate and did some post-birthday shopping for me. I ended up getting a pair of Hokas at the Exchange. Only I had to show my ID at the gate and the check-out registers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom