H P Lovecraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first one I read was 'The Call of Cthulhu'.

Honestly, I don't consider it his best work.
That, The Dunwich Horror, A Colour Out of Space, and The Terrible Old Man are among my favorites. The only Lovecraft story that I don't intend to read again is The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. I am not alone in considering Kadath to be almost unreadable. Ploddingly dull, it was very hard to follow, and like the film 2001: A Space Odyssey I found it to be a Gawd-awful chore to finish it.

The other Randolph Carter stories, I liked, but Kadath was a monstrosity.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Lovecraft's literal translation of “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn” is that “In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming”. By this, Lovecraft meant that Cthulhu is in a form of suspended animation in R'lyeh until such time as the stars are right.
Either that or something about your cars warranty.

Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury Lovecraft, Louis L'Amour... Way to young for much of it at the time.

Jujen Kai

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If y’all haven’t seen it, the HP Lovecraft Historical Society made a film version of “The Call of Cthulhu” in silent format. It is very true to the original story, done in grainy black and white, and it has a beautiful period feel to it.

HPLHS - The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society

They also do a lot of audio work in the old radio theater style, and a ton of other stuff that you gotta see to believe.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read an H. P. Lovecraft story in high school 40 years ago and then found myself wanting to read everything he wrote that I could find. His influence on modern horror writers is strong and you can see it very clearly an early Stephen king works.

However, he does annoy me with his repeated use of something like “the horror was so horrible that there is no way to describe it. the colors had tastes and the textures had sounds but it was so different from what we know that it cannot be described”. You can get away with that once or twice but my gosh did that little hook get overused

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read an H. P. Lovecraft story in high school 40 years ago and then found myself wanting to read everything he wrote that I could find. His influence on modern horror writers is strong and you can see it very clearly an early Stephen king works.

However, he does annoy me with his repeated use of something like “the horror was so horrible that there is no way to describe it. the colors had tastes and the textures had sounds but it was so different from what we know that it cannot be described”. You can get away with that once or twice but my gosh did that little hook get overused
Just curious: have you read The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath? I might have mentioned it earlier, but to me, this story was almost unreadable. If you have read it, what did you think of it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom