Smoked Bologna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I slice it about 1/2" thick, I use mustard rub and that's all. Smoke a couple hours at 180*
YMMV
I do mine similar. I can't hardly stand the Bar-S which some people like. I used to use Fricks but they stopped making the big chubs. Now I prefer the Armor German when I can find it. I slice mine about 3/8-1/2 inch thick also but mop the slices with my fav BBQ sauce. I have a charcoaler I can put the fire way down low with hickory chunks and slow singe and smoke each side till the sauce is thick and sticky and the bologna is just starting to get a little singed. Yep many ways to do it and many things to try. I have not thought about trying my BBQ rub, Humm, will put it on the list. I did have a slice of mine with cheese on a sandwich for lunch today. Ha Thanks for sharing

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do mine similar. I can't hardly stand the Bar-S which some people like. I used to use Fricks but they stopped making the big chubs. Now I prefer the Armor German when I can find it. I slice mine about 3/8-1/2 inch thick also but mop the slices with my fav BBQ sauce. I have a charcoaler I can put the fire way down low with hickory chunks and slow singe and smoke each side till the sauce is thick and sticky and the bologna is just starting to get a little singed. Yep many ways to do it and many things to try. I have not thought about trying my BBQ rub, Humm, will put it on the list. I did have a slice of mine with cheese on a sandwich for lunch today. Ha Thanks for sharing
I was talking about smoked Spam. I went down a rabbit hole from bologna lol.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That has my interest. I'll pick up a can at the store tomorrow and give it a try.
I have to pick up a corned beef as well to smoke into pastrami. They should be on sale after St Patty's day hopefully as well as a couple pounds of Jimmy Dean sausage for the smoker.
For the OP, bologna on the smoker is awesome. Never tried it like you did, but it's going to get a trip on the smoker as well.

That has my interest. I'll pick up a can at the store tomorrow and give it a try.
I have to pick up a corned beef as well to smoke into pastrami. They should be on sale after St Patty's day hopefully as well as a couple pounds of Jimmy Dean sausage for the smoker.
For the OP, bologna on the smoker is awesome. Never tried it like you did, but it's going to get a trip on the smoker as well.
I have found that soaking a corned beef in warm water for atleast 30 minutes makes it better and knocks the saltiness down a lot before smoking.

Attachments

• 2019 smoked corned beef.jpg
    2019 smoked corned beef.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found that soaking a corned beef in warm water for atleast 30 minutes makes it better and knocks the saltiness down a lot before smoking.
I just rinsed the corned beef in cool water before smoking it. Eaten by the slice it is a tad salty by itself but in a sandwich it seems to enhance the flavor somewhat.
That being said, I like it all by itself for snacks on a cracker, so I'll use your advice on the next one.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone smoked cheese? I have a buddy that does it. He says there is nothing like it.
I have a buddy that smokes cheese. Brie, gouda, gruyere, havarti, etc... It's an acquired taste in my experience, but he drinks the hoppy IPA's so it's hard to take his word on what tastes good lol

His smoke cream cheese is legit though. He loads em up like compound butter. Green onion, garlic, cayenne, etc. The asparagus and onion cheese is good, but the artichoke and spinach recipe is pretty amazing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom