Had a tough recovery tonight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to try my AR next year. You guys think a good 55 gr. soft point bullet is the way to go or are there any advantages to bumping up to a heavier bullet? The smallest round I've ever used on deer is a 100 gr. .243.

Regular .223 velocity you should be fine on a 55 grain soft point. If you want more assurance a heavier bullet isn't necessary so much as a good quality 55 grain. Reloading will open up many choices of bullets. Factory loaded rounds might require a step up to the premium offerings to get a heavier constructed hunting bullet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've killed several deer with the .22-250 using .55 grain bullets. Works almost as well the my .30-06 hand loaded Sierra 165 grain HP. Its all about getting a good bullet, and putting it in the boiler room:d

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I was thinking about hand loading a 55 gr. Sierra Gameking. I used a 100gr. Gameking out of a .243 this year and it did very well. I'm thinking a 50-75 yard shot with the .223 should work well.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother in law use to use ballistic tips on deer, they did the job but he didn't like the damage. Not a .223 gun though.

Too much or too little? I use them in 168gr out of my .308 and they absolutely destroy the heart/lungs if you get a half-way decent shot. Longest I've had one run was about 3 good jumps and it was spraying blood like a water-hose.

craigkindlesmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used the Ballistic Silvertips and loved their performance. Never in .223, but .243. I can't imagine there being that much difference between the two. I've never had the .243 not exit either.

BUT that being said. If I'm not loading myself, I always try to use a good quality ammunition that is produced by someone that ONLY produces ammunition. I have Remington rounds, and Winchester, and all sorts of others, but when I really want accurate.... I try to go for an ammunition producer. I may be completely off, but I always have better success with rounds made by the guy that's not having to compete with the rifle and shotgun divisions for his yearly budget. This year I switched to Hornady 100gr and will NOT switch back.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a good thing IMO that the 55gr bullet didn't exit. With that light of projectile I would prefer that it dumps all of its energy in the intended target. I prefer 140 grain nosler ballistic tips in my 7mm WSM. Usually on bigger deer at longer ranges 3-400yds they don't exit, rather they break apart and cause massive internal destruction. Dead right there, just the way I like it.

:50cal:

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
great read up....glad to read you got her out

i have used the the Win 55gr silvertips now for two years in my Win .223 and have been pleased with them. place the right shot and they will fall within 30yds if that. i am a newbie at hunting and this is my only rifle, but i am very familiar with my gun and shot placement. for my two yrs in the field with the Win 55gr silver tips i have taken 3 doe, 2 bucks and they have a total of maybe 50yds travel all together??? also got my share of coyotes, going no where after the hit. my only fear is that one slip up and tracking would be difficult, not a lot of blood out threw that little entrie hole....i can't gurantee this cause i have yet to track a deer....hope i did not jinx myself... the bullet does a GREAT JOB on the inside. turning (shot placement) hearts, lung, liver into jello. farthest i have made a kill was 250yds with low cross wind shooting from a 12' stand. the shot hit in the spine...got a little lucky i understand but dropped him where he stood and a kill is a kill. i attempted my first neck shot this year. the deer turned its back to me, i was 75yds out shooting off a round bail. put the cross hairs about 8'' below the head and bang. i thought i missed cause it stood there for about 2-3sec and then dropped...pretty crazy. but it went threw and threw, making a small hole in and about a nickle to quater hole out....i am a very satisfied customer.

o.k. off soap box.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom