My $1,015 chicken dinner tonight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad everyone's ok and I hope the chikin was great.
Having been through this myself and family members, just make sure her insurance pays everything down to the new washer fluid and car freshener. Under no circumstances do you take a check from them. As soon as you do and cash it, they're off the hook. Call your insurance for guidance and return the check (if they send one). It's not being stingy or unethical to hold their feet to the fire...they'll return the favor by a factor of 10 given the chance.
The chicken was mediocre. While talking with their insurance today, I'm taking it to one of their 'partner' auto body shops. All payments are made by them to the body shop directly. I will not be out of pocket anything or receiving any money from Geico. I will review the estimate before proceeding though. And yes, I'm going to be getting everything done, down to the wiper blades.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to all the folks on here who've dealt with this sort of thing in the past. I called the at-fault driver's insurance company today (Geico). When they filed their claim last night, they admitted fault. Geico is covering all repairs and a rental. I have an appointment set up next week to take my car to a shop where I'll drop it off and pick up a rental - covered by them. I called my insurance company back, informed them of the update, and cancelled the claim on my end. Thanks for the help everyone.

I don't feel too bad now. That chicken dinner last night wasn't the greatest, so now at least it isn't going to end up costing over $1000!
Remember YOU get to pick the shop. They do not.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I recommend Allen Auto Body. They really did us a good job on our Infinity insisting upon factory parts.

https://allenautobody.com/
Only problem with that is that factory parts may be scarce and expensive. Since you're not having to pay for them, that last may not bother you, but it might keep them from getting the parts they need to fix your car. I've had five different Hyundai cars in the past 11 years. I had to fix a number of things myself, and found Rock Auto and eBay better sources for parts that were as good as, and sometimes better than factory. YMMV of course.

Hope the experience is uniformly excellent for you!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember YOU get to pick the shop. They do not.
The lady that hit me had Geico, and they told me that I could use any body shop I wanted, but if I went with one of their "partner" shops, the repairs were guaranteed for the life of the truck. My preferred shop also had a lifetime guarantee on their repairs, so that wasn't much of an inducement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom