Ham Radio Guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason why an amateur radio operator is called a 'ham' is not known. Some relate these three letters (HAM) to the names of three great radio experimenters. They are- Hertz (who practically demonstrated the existence of electromagnetic waves in 1888), Armstrong (who developed a resonant oscillator circuit for radio frequency work) and Marconi (the 1909 Nobel laureate in Physics, who in the year 1901 established the first transatlantic radio contact)

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's an email I sent showing my choices and questions lately. Thanks to BB for the link too. Great idea. The class offered in edmond looks great but no way I can get free every thursday night.

I have done some research. However, it has left me with more questions than I started with. Mostly because of my lack of knowledge of the technology in the equipment and the bands etc. So, I have struggled with whether to purchase a mobile vs handheld. My understanding is that the handheld is far less powerful but is more mobile. The next question was whether to start off with a dual band or not. My answer to the first question was that I likely need both a handheld and a mobile! Mobile set up in the house with an external antena (Does the attic count?) and it can go in the car with me as well. While a handheld can go in a back pack. All bases covered I figure. (Still not clear on how to do the antena though)

So, I came up with a list based on reviews on amazon as well as Ham.net etc showing the options I was considering. There is quite an array of price ranges in each category. I Question whether I need the dual band but want to be able to use as a police scanner if necessary as well. Not sure I need the 10m stuff or not.

First is likely the best choice if not needing true dual band where it will run both bands at once. That seems like a lot to keep up with anyway.
http://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-7900...UTF8&colid=16LD1HORT4411&coliid=IAF6YO33ZBX4Z

This one will run both bands at the same time and may meet the cool factor more but is expensive. Not sure I need it. (Opinion?)
http://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-8800...TF8&colid=16LD1HORT4411&coliid=I16P0E015N3S4P

This one is the cheapest I found of a recommended mobile version. Basic radio it appears.
http://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-2900...TF8&colid=16LD1HORT4411&coliid=I1KAB7GTO8AJQD

Here we have what seems a good choice in a handheld. Not too expensive and filled with features.
http://www.amazon.com/Wouxun-KG-UVD...TF8&colid=16LD1HORT4411&coliid=I30ZZ4HFKBA431

Lastly, the cheapest one out there. This thing has great reviews considering it is soo cheap. For that I could buy two of them and all the accessories. Not sure.
http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-136-1...TF8&colid=16LD1HORT4411&coliid=I1R62O428ICZXR

So, still not clear on how to setup the antenna for one of the mobile style units at the house which is where I would use it most. Also, not sure whether I need the dual band stuff, or the 8800 that runs both bands at the same time. Head spinning with all the other stuff too but trying to learn slowly about the different acronyms.

Any insight would be appreciated.

JJ

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's an email I sent showing my choices and questions lately. Thanks to BB for the link too. Great idea. The class offered in edmond looks great but no way I can get free every thursday night.

I have done some research. However, it has left me with more questions than I started with. Mostly because of my lack of knowledge of the technology in the equipment and the bands etc. So, I have struggled with whether to purchase a mobile vs handheld. My understanding is that the handheld is far less powerful but is more mobile. The next question was whether to start off with a dual band or not. My answer to the first question was that I likely need both a handheld and a mobile! Mobile set up in the house with an external antena (Does the attic count?) and it can go in the car with me as well. While a handheld can go in a back pack. All bases covered I figure. (Still not clear on how to do the antena though)

So, I came up with a list based on reviews on amazon as well as Ham.net etc showing the options I was considering. There is quite an array of price ranges in each category. I Question whether I need the dual band but want to be able to use as a police scanner if necessary as well. Not sure I need the 10m stuff or not.

First is likely the best choice if not needing true dual band where it will run both bands at once. That seems like a lot to keep up with anyway.
http://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-7900...UTF8&colid=16LD1HORT4411&coliid=IAF6YO33ZBX4Z

This one will run both bands at the same time and may meet the cool factor more but is expensive. Not sure I need it. (Opinion?)
http://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-8800...TF8&colid=16LD1HORT4411&coliid=I16P0E015N3S4P

This one is the cheapest I found of a recommended mobile version. Basic radio it appears.
http://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-2900...TF8&colid=16LD1HORT4411&coliid=I1KAB7GTO8AJQD

Here we have what seems a good choice in a handheld. Not too expensive and filled with features.
http://www.amazon.com/Wouxun-KG-UVD...TF8&colid=16LD1HORT4411&coliid=I30ZZ4HFKBA431

Lastly, the cheapest one out there. This thing has great reviews considering it is soo cheap. For that I could buy two of them and all the accessories. Not sure.
http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-136-1...TF8&colid=16LD1HORT4411&coliid=I1R62O428ICZXR

So, still not clear on how to setup the antenna for one of the mobile style units at the house which is where I would use it most. Also, not sure whether I need the dual band stuff, or the 8800 that runs both bands at the same time. Head spinning with all the other stuff too but trying to learn slowly about the different acronyms.

Any insight would be appreciated.

JJ

Good afternoon, MM -

I gave you a little guidance earlier in the thread but you've posted some more specific questions so I'll jump back in with some answers. Since you are still working on getting licensed, you'll probably learn more in that process that will influence your thinking, too. As to not being able to make every class, you'll still benefit by developing a resource for face-to-face Q&A sessions on equipment, etc. The online resources will get you ready for the test.

I covered the basics of the handheld vs. mobile choice in my earlier response: https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?124396-Ham-Radio-Guys&p=2106759&viewfull=1#post2106759

Dual-band is the way I'd recommend you go for the flexibility. 2 Meters is available with coverage nearly everywhere but it's nice to have options. Having dual-receive capability is a good thing and I highly recommend it.

I live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow exterior antennas so I have antennas in my attic and they work OK. It's not optimal but it is workable. I can tell you a little about how that might work.

I'm confused as to what specific questions you have on antennas but would be glad to help. Don't worry about having uninformed questions because everybody has had to learn it from somewhere. Just express your questions as best as you can with the understanding you have and I'll try to interpret or ask clarifying questions.

Given where you live (OKC, right?), having the ability for wide-band receive is really of no consequence because the police and fire departments have all moved radio ops to systems that can't be received the way they used to be. As to 10m, your initial license will not authorize operation on the FM portion of that band.

Please consider using an actual ham radio dealer that has a brick & mortar location as well as an online presence. I checked just one dealer's prices against your Amazon listing price and the dealer was $40 less on the first item, $50 less on the second item, $38 less on the 2 meter, and the Chinese radios are already at rock-bottom. You will have a better experience and good support when working with an actual ham radio dealer, IMO. Places to check are Ham Radio Outlet, Amateur Electronic Supply, Texas Towers, Austin Amateur Radio Supply, to name just a few. They all have online sales sites.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been licensed for maybe 20 years. Tech class. I haven't owned a radio for at least 10. I'm wondering if there is much traffic around here on 440? Is 2m any good here, or has it devolved into 11M type behavior? Been thinking about picking up an HT, but don't know what to get. So much has changed. My last HT was a radioshack 2M, and it was like a brick.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been licensed for maybe 20 years. Tech class. I haven't owned a radio for at least 10. I'm wondering if there is much traffic around here on 440? Is 2m any good here, or has it devolved into 11M type behavior? Been thinking about picking up an HT, but don't know what to get. So much has changed. My last HT was a radioshack 2M, and it was like a brick.

According to the Oklahoma Repeater Society website Excel file, there are 42 UHF repeaters in the OKC zone. Two of those are digital repeaters so they require a particular radio that can operate on that protocol but the others are just regular repeaters with tone codes.

I don't get to OKC that often since I moved to Tulsa in 2009. I've never experienced anything like CB on the OKC 2-meter repeaters.

Radios have gotten much smaller and the battery packs are better than the old NiCads. You can't go too far wrong with buying one of the Chinese-made radios (TYT, Wouxun, Baofeng) at $50-120 to get back into it. If you like it, then you can choose to buy one of the bigger names (Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, Alinco). You ought to come up to the Claremore hamfest on March 8-9 to check out the possibilities first-hand. BTW, Radio Shack is long gone from the ham scene.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that they have gotten smaller and better. When I got out of it, the HTX-202 was pretty much hard to find anywhere, but that's what I had. Wonder if a dual band would be the way to go? Never heard of those Chinese radios. Guess I need to do some google-fu.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old HTX-202 still works fine. They were good ht's. I have the 404 also and it works fine. I prefer Icom radios myself but a lot of people use the other
brands. In fact I still have an old Radio Shack mobile 2 meter rig in my car and it works. But I guess I really need to upgrade to one of the newer models one
of these days.

connorkeef

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first radio was an Icom IC-91A. I got it when I was first licensed in 2008 and its still kicking on all cylinders. I also have a Baofeng but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. It works but it just feels cheap. Kind of like a disposable phone. The Wouxan is a little more solid feeling radio.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you have an HT you no longer use that you would consider selling/trading? I'd like to dabble a bit, but I doubt I'd do much. Would be nice to have during severe weather to listen to the spotter nets...or during a mass power outage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom