Hate buying from dealerships!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, those are pretty bad, I would imagine you would have had a bad time had you engaged 4wd when you actually needed it. I have seen much worse that would not even allow another u-joint to fit in the yolks. If I was you I would try to get another drive shaft and maybe keep that one around for a possible back-up or something.

If the dealer was cool and interested in satisfying your concern, they could get you a replacement driveshaft. I would not be too concernec with a salvage unit other than it having a good slip yolk and new u-joints.

Keep in mind they dont owe you anything but that could have been a safety defect had it come apart going donw the road therefore they should have caught that on a inspection. I have seen failed driveshafts tear into oil pans, trans pans, shatter trans cases and blow out transfer cases, anyone of those could cause a bad accident along with leaving you stranded wherever you are.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an older ford from a fleet company, big mistake. It sure was pretty and started dumping the tranny after about 10k.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got a call back from the dealership and I will be going in today at 10 to talk to the GM and see what they say..... Hears hoping that they replace the drive shaft.....

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The spelling nazi in me is dying a painful death!!!

Are we talking about the yellow part of an egg???

Saw the pics and those are BAD. What you are calling knuckles are actually yolks.

I have seen much worse that would not even allow another u-joint to fit in the yolks. ...a good slip yolk and new u-joints.

...or did you both mean "yoke?"

Hears hoping that they replace the drive shaft.....

Here's to wishing I could read past this stuff. I should be an editor!!!

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here is what one of the "good" old ones looked like....normal

They must be the worst u-joints I've ever seen.
I figured out years ago that if you take your 4x4 to somebody for a lube job, they will not take the time to grease all the fittings. I ended up doing my own just so that I know it is done right.
At least you are able to replace your own. A valuable skill for a 4x4 owner.
I just bought a 2011 Grand Cherokee and I will not have to look at anything for five years. On the fifth anniversary I'll crawl under and look. One of the goodies in the new Jeep is a pistol compartment under the lid of the center compartment.
My experience with dealers sucks, they are convinced they can BS everybody, when in fact they tend to be ignorant of what they are selling. A guy like you who understands about mechanical parts should be able to convince them to pay, especially if they know that you as an unsatisfied customer will make this information available on the internet.
I am not saying you should blackmail him, just make him understand that we live in the information age and you frequent many forums, automotive and otherwise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom