Hate Kimbers???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had several kimbers, all worked fine. never had more than $700 in one most less. that's my problem with Kimber.they make a $600 gun dress it up with fluff and call it a $1200 custom shop gun.and the uninformed believe it.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem I have with Kimber is, when you get in their high end stuff. The high end line cost as much as a Les Baer, and a Kimber is no where near the class as a Baer. Not a hater, just not for me..

Pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Kimber makes a decent 1911. The marketing has outpaced the actual gun itself.

Once you pass the $1K mark, I wouldn't touch one (I'd still be tempted by their Raptor series, though) and there are many other makers that I'd buy instead.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't ever had one, so I don't have an opinion either way. You sure can't go on what a few guys on the internet say, that we never met, or one tricky gun, or even several. That doesn't cover all the good guns that you don't hear about.

Look at the Century AK legend. They're all junk. Well as they have sold thousands upon thousands, something tells me they have had more functioning AKs then not.

Look at all of the companies that have had all kinds of recalls.

Now as for price? Hey, if it seems too much for any product, be it a gun, house, Coach brand purse? Don't buy it. How hard is that?

Well now houses have been known to have ...shoddy workmanship, sub-par labor and materials, and you can buy knock off Coach purses....?

You Sayin ...Kimber ...Might? be makin knock off guns with shoddy , sub-par materials?

;)

Last edited:

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well. I get it now and thanks for the information. One of my sons has a kimber. It seems to shoot ok and has been reliable but it doesn't seem to be worth the money paid. It certainly isn't a custom gun. I've handled and shot pistols from Nowlin, Cylinder & Slide, Ed Brown and Host. The Kimbers I've handled don't compare to any of these true custom pistols. I'm not taking anything away from Kimber they just are not a custom pistol. I recently examined a pair of 1911 pistols from Cabot. They are a matched pair of left (yes a true left hand 1911) and right hand pistols. Both have stainless slide and frame and have real ivory grips. Odd that the grips were checkered...it just didn't seem right for them to be checkered. The Cabot pistols were nice though I did find some rookie mistakes in the fit of each pistol. I certainly did not expect tube pistols to be anything but 100% particularly since they cost $10,000.00 each. Yes 20k for the pair. Wow!

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can add this. I know this for a fact, the OCPD Tact Team were going to the 1911 for their sidearm. Kimber sent them one of their 1911's, the armor torn it down. Then put it back together and sent back to Kimber and turned them down.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well. I get it now and thanks for the information. One of my sons has a kimber. It seems to shoot ok and has been reliable but it doesn't seem to be worth the money paid. It certainly isn't a custom gun. I've handled and shot pistols from Nowlin, Cylinder & Slide, Ed Brown and Host. The Kimbers I've handled don't compare to any of these true custom pistols. I'm not taking anything away from Kimber they just are not a custom pistol. I recently examined a pair of 1911 pistols from Cabot. They are a matched pair of left (yes a true left hand 1911) and right hand pistols. Both have stainless slide and frame and have real ivory grips. Odd that the grips were checkered...it just didn't seem right for them to be checkered. The Cabot pistols were nice though I did find some rookie mistakes in the fit of each pistol. I certainly did not expect tube pistols to be anything but 100% particularly since they cost $10,000.00 each. Yes 20k for the pair. Wow!

those cabots are hyped up piles of junk for what they want. They had a display at shot show and they were less than impressive.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Kimber Warrior series is good. No series 80. You still have to pitch the mag. The Springfield RO is just as accurate for half the price. That's a lot of cerakote.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My pro carry 2 is a tack driver. Unfortunately, it has also been less than reliable. I could clean the snot out of it, take it to the range, and like clockwork it would start jamming on the third mag and then about every 3-4 rounds from there. I never trusted it for carry. After setting it aside and forgetting I owned it for a few years, I decided to either fix it or sell it. After a new recoil spring and ditching the Kimber mags in favor or Wilson combat mags, it is a very reliable tack driver.

While I now like the gun and trust it for carry when I want something thinner than one of my Glocks when I don't feel I'll need capacity, I'm still not a fan. I just don't think someone should have to start changing parts out on a new $1,000+ pistol in order to make it work.

In short, I like my Kimber enough now that I probably won't sell it, but I also won't ever buy another, unless I get a really good deal on one, of course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom