Have you seen the 1957 Disney film Old Yeller?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Life is pain. Get used to it. Among other things, it's how you know you woke up alive. And if you're not alive, you are going to also miss out on the joy that you can find being alive.

Bill
How very cavalier of you.

I've had a belly full of pain and sorrow in real life, and don't care to self-inflict any more with fictional works. I like happy endings where the good guy wins, gets the girl, etc., etc., etc..

To each his own. Get used to it.
:drunk2:
___

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I've had a belly full of pain and sorrow in real life, and don't care to self-inflict any more with fictional works. I like happy endings where the good guy wins, gets the girl, etc., etc., etc..

___
Or reality of people dying of cancer being story of movie. Most of us have dealt with the reality of this. How one can enjoy a movie about a sickness/death story.. My wife loves them.. and cries through them.. personally give me a shoot ‘em up movie if we’re dealing with death, as the main subject… MAYBE hit’s too close to home/reality, that I don’t consider it entertainment. To each their own I’d say.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I've had a belly full of pain and sorrow in real life, and don't care to self-inflict any more with fictional works. I like happy endings where the good guy wins, gets the girl, she has a girlfriend that's into some weird stuff, threesome ensues, looks like someone spilled a bucket of paint.

___

Those are cheerful, but a good old 1950s horror/sci fi flick is good too.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are cheerful, but a good old 1950s horror/sci fi flick is good too.

And I apologize for misquoting your post.
Hehe, yeah... I watched the old black & white ones as a kid. The "special effects" back then were something to behold. :D

And there's no need for an apology, I know you're just bein' silly...
___

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

___
To get to the happy ending, you have to read the whole book, watch the whole movie. Particularly with Old Yeller. Though you have my permission to skip anything by Lawrence Watt-Evans. Some of his stuff is nothing but a downer. You think I've not ever had any sadness, or pain? I wish. Though I know I've been lucky enough that it's never been that terrible. Just ordinary pain. Parents dying of cancer, grandparents of heart disease, and a decade as a photographer for the USAF documenting aircraft accidents, some of which had friends of mine in them. I'm not to the end of my story yet. I'm hoping for a little more joy. Though my wife of nearly 40 years is chronically ill, and has been for about half that time, so the likelihood is kinda low. But go ahead and turtle up, if that's what you want to do. Life can get through your armor anyway.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think I've not ever had any sadness, or pain?
I didn't say or insinuate that, nor did I start this discourse with you. FWIW, I had posted that I read the story, but your opinions are not (and are not likely to ever be) mine.

My Dad used to say, "You can't make everybody's smoke go up your chimney."

And as you so eloquently stated, "Get over it."
___

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
We, especially people on the coasts, and in big cities, are raising a generation of SPOILED BRATS! That is what happens with a "VILLAGE RAISES YOUR KIDS!" as per Crooked Hillary Clinton! Most kids I know in this part of the country are great decent kids, in-spite of 24/7/365 propaganda trying to make them into screwballs! If a kid is raised with respect, and allowed to grow up and assume responsability, gain self respect, a 12 year old is mature enough to handle guns safely. I'm 75 and when I was 12, all the boys had 22's, and shotguns, and hunted unsupervised. The definition of a spoiled brat is; anyone that was never allowed to grow up, learn to make their own choices, and then handle the consequences of that choice! There is no wrose form of child abuse than spoiling a kid, and causing them to become a spoiled adult, and a FOOL, that has NO RESPECT FOR ANYONE, NO EVEN THEMSELVES! Have you ever noticed someone that is been on prison, and went in at a young age. They come out at the same, or a younger, maturity than they went in! I've seen many 40 or 50 year old ex cons, with the mentality of a young teenager, trying to say, or do, something to impress the adults, haven't you? In prison they are not allowed to do anything unsupervised!

Latest posts

Top Bottom