Help me out guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im trying to decide if I should build an AR or buy an off the shelf ready to go AR. Everyone I have talked to says its fun and they know how their weapon functions but off the shelf is go straight to the range and begin firing. So which do you prefer and why. And while we are at it which lower do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im trying to decide if I should build an AR or buy an off the shelf ready to go AR. Everyone I have talked to says its fun and they know how their weapon functions but off the shelf is go straight to the range and begin firing. So which do you prefer and why. And while we are at it which lower do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

i've never built a gun.. but if you are confident in your ability i say go for the build, seem to mee that the pride factor would be higher that way.....

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're going to use it for personal use, I'd say build one.

If it's for duty, buy one factory built simply because of the evil attorney's and liability issues.

The same thing goes for ammo. I wouldn't carry reloads for duty use.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Factory complete rifle you get a factory warranty. Other than that that's about the only benefit. If you build one yourself and know what you want sometimes it's easier and cheaper to go that route instead of buying a factory guns and changing parts as you go. Lowers are lowers for the most part. I've only had problems with four lowers over the 8 years I've been building guns. Two were DPMS, one RRA and one Spikes.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saved money by building my own, plus I put the components (handguards etc etc) on it I want.

Knowledged gained is a bonus.

And lastly, because I could.

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sure is quicker to pull one off the shelf, but building one is fun and the options are endless. You will have to borrow or buy some tools if you build one. Be sure to measure and calibrate the proper headspace before you shoot.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have owned 3 "off the rack", built a varminter and am now in the middle of a carby build. I much prefer building (or should I say assembling the parts).

I would suggest buying a complete upper, then put together a lower that you like (stock, grip, etc) and that way you get the feel of the trigger assembly and it will not take long to get to the range. When I put together my first stripped lower, it only took 30 minutes.

:twocents: :anyone:

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If it's for duty, buy one factory built simply because of the evil attorney's and liability issues.

The same thing goes for ammo. I wouldn't carry reloads for duty use.[/QUOTE]

Well I have a Colt the department has issued to me and I like it a lot. This would be for my own personal use. I carry the 60gr. Hornady TAP for duty use. I too would like to see any case law on this issue.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well since it's going to be a "fun gun" I'd just build it. You can build exactly what you want. You may not be able to buy that. MAS, Olyeller, or Josh could all hook you up on the things you might not have tools for, etc.

If you buy one, the M&P15's are an awful good value IMO.

BTW, I sent you a PM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom