Help me out guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build it!

I built my second AR and didn't know much about what i was doing - if you're willing to read and learn (or you already know a bit), then its easy. You can borrow the tools to get the barrel on - its actually more fun to build it than to buy it and take it out to the range immediately (to me anyways).

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build it. I'm usually a fan of tinkering, but have to admit to buying a 6920 when I found a sane price on a new one while the panic was in full swing.

In retrospect I want a couple of modest mods on it and could have saved some money building, but I didn't have any AR experience at this point so I figured I'd learn the platform before diving in (especially since I don't have barrel tools). Probably would have been fine, especially with Mark's and MAS in driving distance.

Will probably do a build one of these days.

TJohn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only had problems with four lowers over the 8 years I've been building guns. Two were DPMS, one RRA and one Spikes.

Josh, just curious what were the problems with the DPMS lower, or the others for that matter? I ask because I have a complete DPMS rifle that seems to have a tight magwell, it works with all metal magazines that I have tried and but is too tight to allow the use of the Magpul 30 rounders without the window. I have not had that problem with either my complete Smith & Wesson MP15 rifles or a complete Smith & Wesson lower that I have. I never thought there was that much difference between different brands of lowers until I ran across that problem.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a blast to build one, but knowing your situation with BB, I suggest buying one already built, let Patti shoot it and then claim it, then build what you want to for yourself! :tounge2:

Leardriver has a nice Stag in the Classifieds right now that I am trying not to buy. ARs have come down in price right now, and it is a good time to buy one or two. There are a couple of nice ones for sale on the Tulsa side right now, adluginb has a nice Varmit rifle, and if you decide you want one of them, I will do the transport for you, just let me know.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Josh, just curious what were the problems with the DPMS lower, or the others for that matter? I ask because I have a complete DPMS rifle that seems to have a tight magwell, it works with all metal magazines that I have tried and but is too tight to allow the use of the Magpul 30 rounders without the window. I have not had that problem with either my complete Smith & Wesson MP15 rifles or a complete Smith & Wesson lower that I have. I never thought there was that much difference between different brands of lowers until I ran across that problem.

Just out of spec holes for the most part. The spikes problem was the coating they use was too thick and filled up the holes. It's rare to get a bad lower even from a lower end company though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom