Help with Running Cat6 Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or ideas to run some Cat 6 ethernet from the gateway in my master bedroom downstairs to the PS4 in the living room? I would like it to be hidden but I am clueless. My master bedroom is not directly above the living room and pretty much opposite side of the house.

Have you looked into WiFi extenders? TPLink makes all sorts of network switches, extenders, wireless access points, etc. that might help you out here.

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever cable you buy, make sure it's pure copper. Much of the cheap wire is CCA (copper clad aluminum) and is more prone to problems. Read the product description carefully and look at the reviews, some of the manufacturers tend to hide material specs. I've used quite a lot of the FastCat branded wire you can get off Amazon, good stuff.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to make light of the issue of a recalled product. Guys I really wouldn't worry about Plenum rated cable in a home. If its melting you have bigger problems. Your house is on fire. Plenum rated is for large businesses where there is thousands of feet run all over the place and they are concerned with electrical fire smoldering and putting toxins in the HVAC systems. Your cables aren't run in your hvac systems so its really nothing to be worried about. I would guess there are millions of miles of cable in homes installed by telcos and cable companies and its not plenum rated.

+1 for this. Not really an issue in a small residential application.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried using one last week and when I tested my speeds from the extender it dropped to 27 Mbps with Cat6 from the extender to the PS4.

Yikes . . . what type of wireless router do you have? We had coverage issues when I was using the AT&T modem for our home wifi network. Those all went away when I bought a Netgear Nighthawk router.

Latest posts

Top Bottom