Historical Tulsa PD Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know with a degree of certainty what sidearm Tulsa PD carried in the 1950s? A friend on a writing loop needs to know for a historical mystery. This would be a patrol sergeant, if that changes anything.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no degree of certainty but for that time frame it would have to have been a 4" barrel blued steel S&W .38 SPL. I think S&W #10, formely marketed as M&P six shot double action, fixed sight revolver. I knew an ex TPD uniformed cop that worked patrol back in the 1970's that mentioned the S&W #66 stainless steel .357 mag they carried back then. Heard some story about a batch of Glaser Safety Slug ammo that was defective/underpowered or something like that. An officer fired back at a biker gang member wearing a leather jacket and the Glaser pellets just skidded along jacket sleeve causing no wound to speak of. I heard later that Glaser remedied that shortcoming. Maybe SGT. Brown can post about this historical trivia. I know I'd enjoy "hearing" from him.

Last edited:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be on the lines of what trbii mentioned. My guess is that they would have been using the pre-model 10 (.38 M&P) around that time period. And yes, in the 70s, I would bet they were toting 4" 66 Smiths. Those were the ruler of the day.

I suppose it is possible that TPD could have been carrying something from the Colt line but have a feeling it was S&W.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have copy of the green Tulsa Police book that they put out several years back and it has tons of old photos in it. If you can locate someone with that book, they could show you 100% what was issued.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have copy of the green Tulsa Police book that they put out several years back and it has tons of old photos in it. If you can locate someone with that book, they could show you 100% what was issued.

Man, if you could scan in a bunch of pages from that book and make jpeg images of them I'd love to see that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom