Holiday Antlerless Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HAHA! you just extolled every virtue about why it will never go away, and rightfully so.

Yea in the long run it MIGHT work out. In the short term they are losing money like crazy.

Don’t get me wrong I’m glad they are still doing it. It’s a heck of a deal for me and everyone else who has bought one. Just knowing how government agencies view annual budgets I’m shocked they still have them around.

I bought/received my lifetime combo in 1997. I figured up at the time I recieved it that it would only take me 5 years to pay off because all the tags and what not I purchased every year. 5 freggin years!! I’ve been hunting for free in Oklahoma since 2002!

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea in the long run it MIGHT work out. In the short term they are losing money like crazy.

Don’t get me wrong I’m glad they are still doing it. It’s a heck of a deal for me and everyone else who has bought one. Just knowing how government agencies view mooperate with money I’m shocked they still have them around.

I bought/received my lifetime combo in 1997. I figured up at the time I recieved it that it would only take me 5 years to pay off because all the tags and what not I purchased every year. 5 freggin years!! I’ve been hunting for free in Oklahoma since 2002!
Do you know they are losing money? That's kinda my point. I'm thinking you assume they are losing money.
Your comments about the loss of actual hunters and fishers is very true and the lifetime gains revenue that is after your lifetime is also very true. That is why I said you prove the point of it being in existence.
But, we are just speculating. I'd like to see the fiscal report of those funds actually as I'm sure you would as well to make sure the money is well spent as we support the ODW.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well they were losing money in the early 2000’s on the deal that’s why they were considering doing away with it. Had several employees tell us this in my college courses. (I was a wildlife major)

So I’m assuming it’s still hurting them. I mean logically it has to be. Just think about it. The price is really set waaaaaaay to low for the value you recieve. Guys “pay it off” in 5-7 years easy depending on how many deer tags they woulda purchased and then hunt “for free” for the remainder of their lives. Coupled with the fact that interest rates have been super low. That hurts even more.

Even with good interest rates it can’t keep up. Think of it this way. Guy spends $775 on lifetime. Say interest is 5%. That’s a measly $39 a year the ODWC receives from that purchase. Heck a combo license and one deer tag is more than that. It’s tough for a Wildlife department to make a go of it essentially giving out free deer tags to their hunters year after year.

Look at other states with lifetime licenses. Either the price is WAY higher OR it doesn’t include big game tags. Either way it typically takes you 20 years or so to “pay off” lifetime licenses in those states. That’s a helluva difference between that and 5-7 years!

I’m telling ya it’s killing them. Has to be. Granted they’ve learned to live without that money so they are doing a really good job with what they’ve got.

I personally would love to hear from the ODWC on this subject to see if anything has changed since I was last “informed” about it.

Last edited:

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been saying it for years and have never done it. I think this year, I'm gonna not buy "that" gun or all that ammo and put it towards a lifetime. Every damn year, I pay for that combination license and at least 3 tags. I've been in Oklahoma 12 years now, that damn thing would've paid itself off a long time ago! LOL.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t they get a portion of gun and ammo sales too. I can remember but I thought I heard that at one time.

Yeah, from the Pittman-Robertson Act. Don't know how much that amounts to every year. I'm sure you could find it in their budget,

BTW - I've had my Lifetime Hunting License so long it's printed on papyrus. (and, it was only $125!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom