Holy crap that HURT!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Golly Ms. Molly! Glad you are okay!! I've only not been able to catch my breath a couple of times in my life. It is a miserable feeling, that I truly hope to never experience again. And I wasn't nearly in the shape you are describing.

And :rollingla at FireMedic183 ... My brother was a paramedic before he became a police officer. You sound JUST like him!! I'll never forget the time he caught me giving a dollar to a homeless guy. I was on my way to work downtown and was sitting at a stop light. Didn't know my brother and his partner were sitting across the street from me in the Myriad Gardens parking lot. Just about the time I stuck my hand out the window with the money in it my brother chirped his sirens ... scared the bejeebus outta me cuz I wasn't paying attention to what was going on around me at all ... He came running over, called the homeless guy by name and said "Give my sister back her money!" The guy laughed, handed me back my dollar and said "He gives me too many free rides for me to argue with him." :lookaroun :rollingla Yeah ... no ... I don't give money to homeless guys on the street corner any more ... :)

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What is a burst bleb? Never heard that term before.

The spontaneous collapse of a lung is also known as a spontaneous pneumothorax. The lung collapses because of a buildup of air in the chest space. With a spontaneous collapse there is no warning and the exact cause is not always known. Patients with a spontaneous pneumothorax will have severe shortness of breath and chest pain on the side of the collapsed lung. A collapsed lung is very frightening for the patient and is a medical emergency requiring immediate intervention.
Burst Bleb
A primary spontaneous pneumothorax occurs in patients without any underlying lung disease. According to "Sheehy's Emergency Nursing Principles and Practice," a primary spontaneous pneumothorax generally occurs in males 20 to 40 years of age who are tall and thin. The pneumothorax is caused from the bursting of a minor imperfection of the lining of the lung called a bleb. In patients with a primary spontaneous pneumothorax, there is usually no indication of any illness that precedes the rupture, which means there is no known reason why the bleb bursts.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/198554-causes-of-a-spontaneous-collapsed-lung/#ixzz2Xp4nvZjj

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope...thankfully no chest tube.

caojyn is right, at least that is how it was explained to me. Only part that I take issue with is that I am not 20-40 years old and DEFINITELY not a skinny guy.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man ... just reading that made my chest hurt ... Rumur, sounds like you were lucky your wife was outside with you. I gotta stop leaving GC out in the garage by himself ... LOL I'd be really pissed if he up and died on me now. Too much time and training invested ... :wink2:

:lookaroun WHAT?!?!?! Like you guys don't say the same thing when the Old Lady isn't looking ...

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The spontaneous collapse of a lung is also known as a spontaneous pneumothorax. The lung collapses because of a buildup of air in the chest space. With a spontaneous collapse there is no warning and the exact cause is not always known. Patients with a spontaneous pneumothorax will have severe shortness of breath and chest pain on the side of the collapsed lung. A collapsed lung is very frightening for the patient and is a medical emergency requiring immediate intervention.
Burst Bleb
A primary spontaneous pneumothorax occurs in patients without any underlying lung disease. According to "Sheehy's Emergency Nursing Principles and Practice," a primary spontaneous pneumothorax generally occurs in males 20 to 40 years of age who are tall and thin. The pneumothorax is caused from the bursting of a minor imperfection of the lining of the lung called a bleb. In patients with a primary spontaneous pneumothorax, there is usually no indication of any illness that precedes the rupture, which means there is no known reason why the bleb bursts.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/198554-causes-of-a-spontaneous-collapsed-lung/#ixzz2Xp4nvZjj
A bleb is an air sac that forms on the lungs of certain people (tall and thin, and/or a smoker, most commonly). When the bleb bursts, it releases air into the chest cavity. It is this positive air pressure that compresses the lung and causes all the pain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom