Home Warranties? Any Good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor keeps telling me what a good deal Home Warranty companies are ... but I sure have read a lot of dirt on 'em. What do you folks think?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know two families that bought them, and within a year their AC units went out. Got them replaced. Not sure if they had to pay a deductible. My wife keeps saying we need to get it, but I'm hesitant. Most of our AC, water heaters, etc are pretty new, and I install everything myself except for the AC units.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know two families that bought them, and within a year their AC units went out. Got them replaced. Not sure if they had to pay a deductible. My wife keeps saying we need to get it, but I'm hesitant. Most of our AC, water heaters, etc are pretty new, and I install everything myself except for the AC units.

Thanks. Referrals? Company names please if available?

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, this is what our Plant Manager bought while we were still working..He got his stove top and microwave replaced the first year and also his ice maker repaired..It paid off big time for him..I guess it's just a gamble like most of life is anymore..

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ours is with Old Republic. Our per-incident callout fee is like... $75? Or something. We've found enough stuff that has gone wrong in our older home to at least pay for the annual fee each year. Recently replaced our old old dishwasher - they paid about $450, we added a coupla hundred to it and got something nicer than they were gonna put in. Also replaced the A-coil on our old AC unit, plus all the freon - they've had to put freon in twice a year for the last 3+ years, so that alone almost paid for our premium. We did have to pay an extra portion on that one. Maybe a coupla hundred max.

If I had a new home I would say you shouldn't need it, but then, everything is crap these days, old or new.

Personally, I'm a believer.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno We had one and had problems with it. They would send out the company they wanted. We had no say in who came to our house. They miswired our a.c. then said it was lightening damage so no replacement. I got a friend to look at it and they had wired it wrong the summer before and burnt up a capacitor.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno We had one and had problems with it. They would send out the company they wanted. We had no say in who came to our house. They miswired our a.c. then said it was lightening damage so no replacement. I got a friend to look at it and they had wired it wrong the summer before and burnt up a capacitor.

This is true, you have no say in who comes out... they are contracted with various providers in each specialty in each area.

I do have mixed feelings, but overall over the last 6 years, I think we've gotten at least our premium back in services most every year. It isn't exactly speedy, but it has worked out ok for us thus far. Hell, our KitcheAid dishwasher hadda be 20 years old and when it went out and couldn't be fixed, they gave us like $450 towards a new one. Our premium is about $550 a year, I THINK, but my wife handles that, so I can't be sure.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
We purchased the American Home Shield home and appliance warranty on the 6 year old home we purchased in 2010. It was easily worth every penny. We had to have 3 appliances repaired and got a free HVAC tune-up. At least get the first 12 month warranty. The deductible was about $60 per service call. The HVAC tune-up was no charge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom