Honda Mower Carb Issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The carbs usually cannot be cleaned to get all the varnish from our lovely fuel supply with ethanol. This is a carb off a newer John Deere rider. I soaked and cleaned it, but never got it running right. The jets and other passages are almost impossible to get clean. Ended up replacing the carb and it now runs great.

574AF8BE-CEC2-4429-B014-4BC0D64E1F8E.jpeg
400B09B6-7901-4E94-A9CA-FB428FCEE088.png

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the governor is hunting. move the little spring on the governor control arm to a different hole.
I was going to say this. Just dealt with that issue on mine. It happened from a stick getting jammed in there.

Did anyone mention never use ethanol? You can buy tiny little brushes and wires made for cleaning carbs from amazon. Got some when my boat carb was clogged.

I’ve heard the lawnmowers have jets that are too small now. I opened mine up with a tiny drill bit. Runs better.

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They got their yard finished today at least. I'll go by there next week and take a look at the governor, and see what I can do to get their current mower going, that is if the G34 doesn't sell. If it does, I'll bring them a new mower and bring the Honda back to my house for inspection. I really appreciate everyone offering advice.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They got their yard finished today at least. I'll go by there next week and take a look at the governor, and see what I can do to get their current mower going, that is if the G34 doesn't sell. If it does, I'll bring them a new mower and bring the Honda back to my house for inspection. I really appreciate everyone offering advice.
Good deal. Bet if you keep tinkering carefully you can get it all working right.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Only run 100% gas in it. I’ve rebuilt a hundred carbs. Once they start that surging crap, it seems tough to rectify even after a rebuild. Honda’s can be a pita. Chenesium copies can be had for less than $8 on fleabay.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another OSA'er texted me privately and suggested doing something I was considering. When I get the mower back home, I'll pull the carb and give it a bath in my sonic cleaner. Might be fun to try, then buy a Covid-Carb if necessary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom