HOT COFFEE: Wake up to what's being done to YOUR rights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, which is the problem I have. Lawsuits are the weapon that little guys have against huge corporations and I'm against making it harder to use that weapon. Also, won't lawyers just not bring suits they don't think they can win? Sounds like a free-market solution to me!

C'mon, you work with computers right? You haven't ever heard of large corporations suing people for absurd amounts?

Bringing a lawsuit against someone and having to pay if you lose is probably financially better than having to blow your net worth x 1000 on legal fees defending against a frivolous claim.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
C'mon, you work with computers right? You haven't ever heard of large corporations suing people for absurd amounts?

The answer to that problem isn't tort reform.

Bringing a lawsuit against someone and having to pay if you lose is probably financially better than having to blow your net worth x 1000 on legal fees defending against a frivolous claim.

How much do you think the RIAA stands to lose even if they're forced to reimburse defendants for legal fees?

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The coffe woman in the McDonalds that burnt herself (Stella) was something that should never have been.
She shouldnt have gotten one cent for her stupidity

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The coffe woman in the McDonalds that burnt herself (Stella) was something that should never have been.
She shouldnt have gotten one cent for her stupidity

See what's funny is that "Hot Coffee" is sort of about how this case is popularly misunderstood and misused to justify tort reform.

So basically your post is in a thread about a movie that's about why your post is wrong.

That's deep bro.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, then they become politicians....

Haha - you beat me too it. I was just going to say that there are a lot more bad lawyers making laws than bringing forth bad tort cases. We need to reform the process that allows these idiots in congress well before we need tort reform.

I also love how several folks keep talking about the Stella case (and several others, some of which are purely urban legend) as if they know the facts from that case.

This whole thread is a classic case of "don't screw this whole thing up with facts, dammit I'm angry about a chain email I received!".

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thankfully some of you get it, and some of you continue to drink the Koolaid of your corporate masters...

Sure hope nothing bad happens to you and yours and you ever need on of us Satanic lawyers..

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just said I didn't feel sorry for her for pouring a cup of coffee on her crotch, nothing about the validity of her lawsuit. I still don't. But I'm a pretty heartless dude.

And yes, I'd seen the pics and read about it.

Partly because she bought her coffee at McDonald's. My friend told me a McDonald's story recently about how the help didn't speak English and got his order wrong. Then he got sick after eating it and vomited for the first time in years. I was like dude, you were ordering food at a place that sells cheeseburgers for less than the price of a candy bar. I wouldn't complain if there was a dirty hype needle in your "apple pie", bro. Just pick the needle out and toss it on the sidewalk in front of the playground then finish your pie in an envelope. C'mon. It's McDonald's.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One good outcome of this case, is that McDonald's fixed the damn problem. They had been selling coffee twenty degrees hotter than the industry standard for years, and had settled many similar cases out of court. Remarkable how a little bad publicity brought out the good corporate citizen
that we all know was lurking in there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom