HOT COFFEE: Wake up to what's being done to YOUR rights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plus punitive damages are supposed to be, you know, punitive.

And what about the insurance companies? I'm not one of those people who hate insurance companies, but they make some ridiculous decisions sometimes that warrant being sued. Basically, setting a limit on the amount I can get from them in the event of their negligence is just ensuring that their profits aren't hurt and gets rid of the incentive to not make those bad decisions.

If there's no fear of punitive economic reprisal then there's less incentive to prevent negligence.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tort reform: loser pays all costs incurred by the winner.

What's wrong with that scenario? Lets hear from both sides.

Define "loser." This issue with tort reform isn't that the plaintiff isn't owed damages, in most cases, so the plaintiff is nearly always the victor and the defendant the loser. The issue is with the judgements being sought.

Example:

If I slip and fall on your property, and show you are negligent (say you had a water leak), I am owed damages. Let's say I have no permanent injuries, but I have a 3,000 dollar medical bill.

You or your insurer offers 10,000 to cover the generals and specials. I balk and sure for an absurd 20 million, requesting generals, specials, and punitive. The court awards me your original 10,000 offer. I am still the "winner" of the court case, as it found you negligent and I am awarded damages. You still pay court costs because you are the loser. Is that fair, or should I be forced to pay due to my being litigious?

What if the court awards 18 million, or 12,000, some in-between amount (which is most likely)? Who is the winner and loser now?

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In scenario one you are the loser. They offered $10k and you said no. You sued for $20M and got $10k. Sounds like to me you lost.

In scenario 2 you both lose. You didn't get what you asked for and they got zinged for more than they offered. You both lost. Cut the baby in half.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that a law like that would discourage people from trying to seek damages in court, which is the problem with all tort reform

Not obvious at all.

It would discourage frivolous law suits and only those with merit would be brought. Suits brought simply because it is cheaper to pay than go to trial would probably simply vanish. If that were to be the case everyone wins. The insurance company, society, etc. The only losers would be those folks who sue at the drop of a hat over every silly slight imaginable.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tort reform IS usually pushed for all the wrong reasons, to benefit all the wrong people. That much is pretty much irrefutable.

But...I've never felt sorry for that old hag that poured an entire cup of coffee on her own crotch.

And I'd just bury Cards out back if he fell on my property. CMOA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom