HOT COFFEE: Wake up to what's being done to YOUR rights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except that I was awarded $10k in a legal judgement. How did I lose? The tortfeasor has a judgement against them, and I have a judgement in my favor.

It's a bit of an extreme example I know, but I want to point out that it is difficult to define winning and losing and determining how to split legal costs. Especially since in most all cases I have seen (and I am in auto insurance claims), the amount awarded is in the middle.

But in all reality, if we believe the causes of action and judgements are inappropriate, then our problem lies with the juries of our peers, not with the legal system. We (the People) are the ones awarding these amounts of money. I am not arguing for or against tort reform, but just trying to discuss some of the nuances related to the issue.

No, you lost. You were offered $10k and said NO and filed for $20M. The court agreed with the insurance company, not you. You got what the Insurance company offered to begin with. No more.
How do you see that as a win for you? I see that as a win for the insurance company since they paid what they wanted to pay originally.

It's not that difficult really. Cut the baby.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you can't possibly imagine how such a law would discourage people from bringing legitimate suits?

It was my understanding that the reform being sought would require someone to hire an "expert",(wonder who that would be?) to certify the suit as valid before it would be allowed to be filed. If that's the case then it appears more than just "discouraging" some suits, it would bar them from being filed.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the reform being sought would require someone to hire an "expert",(wonder who that would be?) to certify the suit as valid before it would be allowed to be filed. If that's the case then it appears more than just "discouraging" some suits, it would bar them from being filed.

Right, which is the problem I have. Lawsuits are the weapon that little guys have against huge corporations and I'm against making it harder to use that weapon. Also, won't lawyers just not bring suits they don't think they can win? Sounds like a free-market solution to me!

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, which is the problem I have. Lawsuits are the weapon that little guys have against huge corporations and I'm against making it harder to use that weapon. Also, won't lawyers just not bring suits they don't think they can win? Sounds like a free-market solution to me!

Exactly.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, you lost. You were offered $10k and said NO and filed for $20M. The court agreed with the insurance company, not you. You got what the Insurance company offered to begin with. No more.

I can see that as a win for the defendant. I am not really disputing that point, but rather playing devil's advocate.

How do you see that as a win for you?

Because I was awarded a judgment in my favor, I can see it also as a win for the plaintiff.

My whole point is that semantics matter. "Winner" and "Loser" need clearly defined if one ventures down this path. Like Werewolf said, the number of scenarios are endless. It is difficult try to make it as black and white as we, as Platonic human beings, like to define things.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched it and felt horrible for that girl from haliburton getting raped and basically held hostage in a storage container. Been all this time and she finally gets to go to court, hope something good comes to her. Somehow after the haliburton employees takes custody of her rape kit, parts of it go missing??? Gotta love big oil companies...

That part really pissed me off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom