How Often Do You Clean Your Carry Mags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Often Do You Clean Your Carry Mags?

• I break them down and clean them after every time I shoot, just like my firearm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I clean my carry mags about the same as the competition mags. Some guys clean theirs at matches after every stage, but I suspect that is to keep from resetting steel and taping targets.
I've done dozens of matches without ever breaking them down and have never had a mag failure to feed.
What I do is to blow them out with compressed air, and lube with a combo of alcohol and graphite,(bought at Lowes in the lock section) or a silicon lube that dries and leaves a residue. Used both, the silicone is cleaner, but in cold weather, I'll clean them with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and use the graphite.
Used to hunt a lot with pistol in sub freezing weather for rabbits behind dogs and found out real quick that WD-40 turned into gum the closer one got to 0 degrees. Graphite was the solution. The alcohol evaporates and leaves the lubricant. Won't attract dust.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I clean my carry mags about the same as the competition mags. Some guys clean theirs at matches after every stage, but I suspect that is to keep from resetting steel and taping targets.
I've done dozens of matches without ever breaking them down and have never had a mag failure to feed....

Don't you just love those guys? They act like they are all engrossed in some kind of necessary "maintenance" when they are just lazy...I don't know anyone that's really likes resetting/taping up targets, but it's something to be shared, IMO.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I inspect mine for pocket lint, especially that may get got in the hollow of the first round, but I don't carry the same mag everyday.. I have multiple to rotate... But they all stay ready to roll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I inspect mine for pocket lint, especially that may get got in the hollow of the first round, but I don't carry the same mag everyday.. I have multiple to rotate... But they all stay ready to roll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that pocket lint could cause a nasty infection you know?

Latest posts

Top Bottom