how often to "relax magazines" & "clean" guns CC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We clean every time we shoot. I am fond of that squeaky clean Hoppe's smell ... *sigh*

CC stays loaded, round chambered all the time, but we do burn off self-defense ammo every month and buy new ...

I am not sure I buy into the "you need to refresh your ammo" philosophy, based on the amount of backstock and reloading components we have here. We are still using primers I bought 3 years ago.

It's just a good "excuse" to remain comfortable with what I carry ... as if I needed an excuse to blow up a bullet ... or 100 ...

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My carry gun gets quite a bit of lint and dirt in it within about 30 days, and I only carry 3-4 times a week. (Used to be because I worked at a school, and now it's because I work at home and run out of excuses to leave the house.)

I had never taken apart my mags until just recently, and holy cow there was a lot of crap in them twisted around the springs. This is after about a year and four months of carrying.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep my CCW and all six spare magazines fully loaded as they are useless otherwise. I rotate my carry ammo much more than I really need to do at about three or four times a year. I clean after each range session. Within 24 hours of shooting I have ALL of my firearms back to a state of cleanliness that any Marine Corps Armorer would be happy to check in as good to go. I only use CLP because the Marine Corps warped me that way. I wipe down my CCW as needed with a light coat of CLP and will punch the bore as needed to get the lint out. All of the above is just insurance as far as I’m concerned.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Springs only wear when they're flexed. Unless you somehow compress your mag spring so much that it deforms the metal (which you won't in normal use), you're doing more damage by unloading/reloading them periodically than you are by just letting them sit loaded.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Springs only wear when they're flexed. Unless you somehow compress your mag spring so much that it deforms the metal (which you won't in normal use), you're doing more damage by unloading/reloading them periodically than you are by just letting them sit loaded.
I thought about posting just to say this, but I haven't gotten the motivation to bother, so I appreciate someone else doing it for me.

But this is 110% correct.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought about posting just to say this, but I haven't gotten the motivation to bother, so I appreciate someone else doing it for me.

But this is 110% correct.

Awake at 3am...knows about spring wear...location listed as "Norman"...

I smell an engineering student.

Latest posts

Top Bottom