How soon for rolling electrical blackouts in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember rolling blackouts back when we were allowed to build coal power plants.

Cold ? Go out there with the front end loader and scoop some more coal from that giant ass pile, put it in the burner ! More electricity comes out !

Never seemed to be a supply problem when the power plant had a 20 year contract with the mine.

Good thing we're all better off now, with windmills and natural gas.

And yet Texas had to shut down coal and nuclear plants due to the cold... And when did we have a massive arctic blast across the whole midwest clear down to the gulf setting record lows all along the way?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Texas is getting it worse than we are. Buddy in San Antonio got power back today after it went out on the 14th. Another in Waco lost it on the 14th too and still nothing.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yet Texas had to shut down coal and nuclear plants due to the cold... And when did we have a massive arctic blast across the whole midwest clear down to the gulf setting record lows all along the way?
Or, perhaps Texas had to shut down coal and nukes because the rest of the windmill and gas powered grid was so bad off. Shutting down the coal and nuke plants was the only way to avoid the entire grid collapsing ?

Just perhaps? I mean, SPP claims to be shutting down parts of this grid to avoid collapse.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or, perhaps Texas had to shut down coal and nukes because the rest of the windmill and gas powered grid was so bad off. Shutting down the coal and nuke plants was the only way to avoid the entire grid collapsing ?

Just perhaps? I mean, SPP claims to be shutting down parts of this grid to avoid collapse.

Supply, safety issues, etc would dictate shutdown of coal and nuke plants. They haven't accounted why yet. You don't shut down plants because you don't have enough power in the grid...

All I know is friends in Austin, Houston, etc have been without power 8+ hours. In DFW my coworkers are losing power and getting it back like clockwork. I'll take SPP vs ERCOT any day of the week.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure glad I checked my generator function before and blackout hit. It took awhile to start, like there was 90 weight oil in it. As soon as this cold snap is over, I'll service it getting it ready for tornado season.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, they talked to a guy from Oklahoma's equivalent of the department of energy (I can't recall his title or the department's official name; he could've been from emergency management). He said the SPP is controlled/regulated by the feds, and Oklahoma's energy utilities have no choice in the matter--when the SPP issues the order, they have to comply.
So Biden punishing the Red states?

Latest posts

Top Bottom