How to pig hunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in locust grove and have been looking for a good place to pig hunt . I have a uncle that traps hogs for a living i think he traped 350 last year just aroung locust grove but he will not let me hunt them were he traps he says it scatters them out to bad. He uses sweet feed cause they can smell it from far away. Like i said i have a lot of good deer hunting land and varment calling and duck hunting if you want to trade out some i would be more than happy. PM me.

lightningkylej

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use corn in our feeders to keep them coming in. Then we will put out about 10lbs of sweet feed and top it off with Gatorade powder the day of an evening hunt. Seems to be working well enough. We had a pic last weeks with 17 adults in a single photo from the trail camera. No telling how many was just outside the picture area or hidden in the brush.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use corn in our feeders to keep them coming in. Then we will put out about 10lbs of sweet feed and top it off with Gatorade powder the day of an evening hunt. Seems to be working well enough. We had a pic last weeks with 17 adults in a single photo from the trail camera. No telling how many was just outside the picture area or hidden in the brush.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Oh my! You obviously need help with thinning that herd. I would love to assist in such a matter. :bigeye:

recon3117

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
using feeders and trail camera pattern your hogs, there are several sweet

homemade recipe's you can use along with the feeder to attract them. they will move off for a while after you ambush them but they will be back as long as you keep them interested.

They hurt the deer and turkey hunting as others have said, but we are moving from deer to hog mode now with the 45-70 the SKS will be fine.they have fair eye sight and excellent smell.

good hunting

lightningkylej

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure glad we don't have them yet. That many hogs can't be good for the hunting in the area.

This is our first year with this lease. Didn't start with the feeders until about 3 or 4 months ago. When the hogs are around, the deer do leave the feeders. But that is why I have another feeder about 300 yards away in a little more of a clearing that attract a lot more deer than hogs. I have taken 4 hogs from the feeder in the pics I posted above and 3 deer from the feeder in the clearing as well as 1 hog from that same feeder.
We have another lease that is less than a mile away that shows to be very good for deer. We just need to work it to make it a little more hunter friendly.

Besides, I really like eating wild game. I have the ribs/loins of the last hog I took on last Thursday in the smoker for lunch tomorrow and the hams and shoulders in a jerk marinade that will be supper tomorrow or the next day. Hogs are there year around and are always in season. You can only get so many deer a year with an even more limited time frame to get them in. We usually get a hog ever other week at least.
Bowhunting might even net a few more kills. Rifles tend to scare them away for about 4 days. We baited out one of the feeders with some of our attractant to test this theory tomorrow.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a lot of people say not to use an AR to hunt hogs but if you were to use an AR, what type of bullet would you recommend?

I have 1:8 twist 18" bbl, so I can shoot 75g bullets without any problems. Hornady's website says not to use their Amax bullets on large game, so what would you guys use?

Latest posts

Top Bottom