I’m gonna sound like the village idiot here, but…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I swear I just saw a black panther while hunting public land near the deep fork river.

was about 100-125 yards from me. Sitting in the middle of the road/path, looking at a pond with some ducks in it. My initial reaction was that it was a coyote, but this thing was a good 40 inches tall when sitting down. I didn’t see any ears sticking up, nor did I see a tail. It was solid jet black, not that variation of shades of black/gray like you usually see on coyotes. This was in direct sunlight too. Before I could get close it walked off, more of a catlike lope, it’s back didn’t “bounce” like a dog, it stayed more level and still like a cat. Ground was pretty hard, couldn’t find any tracks. Am I imagining things? Anyone have pictures of black coyotes? How common are they?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based off your avatar, I'd say cow! Likely a black angus.
F1190C63-F257-4257-AEFD-60145A87310F.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as I want to pile on making fun of you, I believe you. I’ve seen two cougars while hunting, and one had dark/almost black hair. A buddy and I were spotlighting for pigs on his Mother in Law’s place, and the cat was sitting by a fence watching us as we drove through the pasture. When we saw it, I jumped out with a rifle, and my buddy held the light on it. As soon as I got the scope on it, it went under the fence and into a group of young planted pine trees and didn’t give me a shot. We went back the next day and found hair in the barb wire where the cat crossed the fence.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had two cases of large bobcats here at my place with unusually dark color variations. The camera pics finally told the story. But I've also got raccoons the size of medium dogs too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom