"I Am Adam Lanza's Mother"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best read on the subject I've seen yet. I've posted numerous times on the pathetic state of mental health treatment in Oklahoma. Passing the buck is SOP. It's disgraceful. :(

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not saying that this woman is wrong, but I wonder why she is a single mother of four. Two thirds of our prison populations are people that have been raised in single parent homes. I have no idea why she is single, but children need two parents and she needs help with her son. A husband would be a big help. I know this post is about mental illness and I am sorry for trying to change this thread.

Are you really bagging on her because she is a single mother? Maybe her husband died? Maybe he was an abusive jackass? Maybe he ran off the neighbor across the street? Not every woman is lucky enough to have a good husband or man lucky enough to have a good wife. Not all children are lucky enough to have two loving parents.

Rather than judging, you ought to find a way to help.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this sounds horrible and insensitive, but the boy needs to be locked up in a mental hospital for the protection of others as well as himself.

As horrible as that sounds, there are simply those tortured souls out there that should not be free to wander among the rest of us.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Have had two experiences with students who had Aspergers. Both came in with parents who were given a diagnosis, a list of what they could expect, and told them to expect misbehavior. The students had been told "no" very few times in their lives, for fear of a meltdown or acting out. By the time they had experienced some structure, and several teachers who made them tow the line, and gave them "our" expectations, instead of using Asperger's as an excuse, they left able to do way, way more than was ever expected of them.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you really bagging on her because she is a single mother? Maybe her husband died? Maybe he was an abusive jackass? Maybe he ran off the neighbor across the street? Not every woman is lucky enough to have a good husband or man lucky enough to have a good wife. Not all children are lucky enough to have two loving parents.

Rather than judging, you ought to find a way to help.
I don't know whether he was judging or not but single parent households are actually a bigger societal issue than mental health. There was a recent study that 97% of juvenile offenders that re-offend are from single parent homes vs. the 3% from a home with two parents. That statistic is alarming and telling. The family unit in our society has suffered a total breakdown. There are so many factors that play into this issue but it deserves a look.

Have had two experiences with students who had Aspergers. Both came in with parents who were given a diagnosis, a list of what they could expect, and told them to expect misbehavior. The students had been told "no" very few times in their lives, for fear of a meltdown or acting out. By the time they had experienced some structure, and several teachers who made them tow the line, and gave them "our" expectations, instead of using Asperger's as an excuse, they left able to do way, way more than was ever expected of them.

I saw this from my friends as well. They tried to give him routine but he probably could have used more structure. Having never been in their shoes or having to deal with a child with Asperger's, I tried not to judge. He was definitely far more difficult than their other child and would be challenging regardless. I do agree with the general sentiment that our kids are not given enough structure and discipline these days.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some people belong in a mental institution!

We dont have very many "mental institutions" anymore. Its cheaper to house them in prisons.

Geraldo Rivera made his name exposing these institutions. We used to have "state" hospitals all over the U.S. Sadly our nation couldnt afford it and States shut most down because of budget cuts.

Today we just toss many in prison or pass them along to be somebody elses problem.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know whether he was judging or not but single parent households are actually a bigger societal issue than mental health. There was a recent study that 97% of juvenile offenders that re-offend are from single parent homes vs. the 3% from a home with two parents. That statistic is alarming and telling. The family unit in our society has suffered a total breakdown. There are so many factors that play into this issue but it deserves a look.

can you please post a link to the 97% study?? thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom