I need a new computer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't do any gaming or live stream videos. It must have CD/DVD capabilities. Something basic, dependable and rugged-ish.

Recommendations?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your requirements are that little just about any modern computer should fit the bill. My only recommendation is to get a decent new monitor. something that is 1440 rez or higher if you do any productivity work

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tons of great laptops out there, but alot don't have a DVD drive. You can get a pretty cheap external drive, this is (I think) a better option than looking for a laptop that has a built-in drive.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lap top, sorry.....

No worries! My recommendation still stands. Just about any computer will do. Personally I insist on having a monitor with better then 1080 resolution or my eyes get stressed. Internal DVD drive might make it a little harder. I haven't had an internal one in many years. Bought a usb drive or the once and a while I'd need one and cant really tell ya when that was last.

What is your budget?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Look at Newegg and amazon, most any laptop is going to play DVD's. New egg will let you put price range and hardware info in.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No worries! My recommendation still stands. Just about any computer will do. Personally I insist on having a monitor with better then 1080 resolution or my eyes get stressed. Internal DVD drive might make it a little harder. I haven't had an internal one in many years. Bought a usb drive or the once and a while I'd need one and cant really tell ya when that was last.

What is your budget?
Something basic, not looking to spend a lot. I just don't need anything fancy or powerful.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of great things about the Ryzen 4000U series stuff that should be coming out soon. If I was in the market but could hold off a bit I would wait for those to start showing up. They will be a little more but a 15watt cpu will allow the battery to last a long time. They should also be fairly portable since they may even be able to be passively cooled.

The thread linked above does have a lot of good info though. As far as rugged, well... If you go find one of the old toughbooks you can get something ruggedish, however most of those did not have cd drives either. The only other thing I have found to be portable and rugged was one of the Xplore tablets. I have one sitting here now and I could probably throw it out a second floor window and still have it work. Laptops are not really rugged otherwise, as far as build quality the old adage of "you get what you pay for" still stands true.

SSD's are good to look for and of the SSD NVME is the king of them all, they also use less power than a HDD. For web surfing and basic BS 8GB ram is still minimum for anything more or multiple tabs start increasing the memory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom