I want to start reloading.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to buy from the guys in Moore. I would pay a little more to support some Okies. I'll be shooting a lot out of a Glock. I know that lead is a no no but what about lead bullets plated with something?

J and K told me the other day that they only sell wholesale now. They just built a store front last year. Who knows what changed. Rainier bullets have worked great, they seem to be a little more uniform than Barry's.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to buy from the guys in Moore. I would pay a little more to support some Okies. I'll be shooting a lot out of a Glock. I know that lead is a no no but what about lead bullets plated with something?

Be aware that glocks don't digest reloads with their factory barrels well at all. Glock in its infinite wisdom cuts the feed ramp further into the chamber than most other manufacturers. If you wil examine cases fired from glocks larger than 9mm, you will notice a pronounced bulge in the case. Factory virgin brass is ductile (elastic) enough to stretch where the feed ramp cuts into the chamber without rupturing normally. When you resize the brass you work harden it and if fired in a glock pistol with a factory barrel there is a chance that the brass will rupture at the feed ramp cut, usually with disasterous results to the gun and sometimes the shooter. I've owned several glocks and shot reloads out of them all. For most of them I have purchased an aftermarket barrel which has normal cut rifling and a fully supported chamber. Lone Wolf barrels are a quality product and are a drop in fit. If you love yoru glock and want to shoot reloads in it, be aware of some of the problems you may encounter. Good luck

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be aware that glocks don't digest reloads with their factory barrels well at all. Glock in its infinite wisdom cuts the feed ramp further into the chamber than most other manufacturers. If you wil examine cases fired from glocks larger than 9mm, you will notice a pronounced bulge in the case. Factory virgin brass is ductile (elastic) enough to stretch where the feed ramp cuts into the chamber without rupturing normally. When you resize the brass you work harden it and if fired in a glock pistol with a factory barrel there is a chance that the brass will rupture at the feed ramp cut, usually with disasterous results to the gun and sometimes the shooter. I've owned several glocks and shot reloads out of them all. For most of them I have purchased an aftermarket barrel which has normal cut rifling and a fully supported chamber. Lone Wolf barrels are a quality product and are a drop in fit. If you love yoru glock and want to shoot reloads in it, be aware of some of the problems you may encounter. Good luck

Dang, thanks for the heads up. I knew it was a concern with larger calibers. I'm only doing 9mm (g19). Makes me kinda leery to run em in the gun.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take your barrel out and put a loaded 9mm round in it, look at the feed ramp and see if the ramp extends past the solid web portion of the case. If the case is properly supported, meaning that the wall of the case isn't exposed to the feed ramp, then you should be good to go. The poly bore leads easier than a conventional cut rifling does, but keeping your velocity from going hyper helps a lot with the leading. Jim

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang, thanks for the heads up. I knew it was a concern with larger calibers. I'm only doing 9mm (g19). Makes me kinda leery to run em in the gun.

I don't have a 9mm Glock to compare, but this is what it looks like in 10mm (Glock 20). Bar-Sto aftermarket barrel on the left, Glock factory barrel on the right. Also note that the Glock barrel is much looser all the way around the circumference of the cartridge.
glock barrels.jpg

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone talks about the glock bulge, I've had a bunch of glocks, and shot a ton of reloads and factory ammo and had no bulge. So I think some do it and some don't.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned and loaded for several Glocks over the years. Never experienced the "Glock buldge" in any of my Glocks except for a 23 that I owned several years ago. The picure posted above seems to punch a hole in the "unsupported at 6 o'clock" theory. The real problem may be the loose-fit chamber that allows the Glock to eat almost any ammo. Still see quite a bit of buldged 40 cal brass at the range.

Edit: Old brain reversed barrels. BarSto barrel obviously has more support.

Last edited:

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll try and get a picture up later of my barrel with a shell in it. I had read the Glock bulge was more prominent in .40 caliber and not much if any sort of issue in the 9. Of course that's just research and not my own personal experiences.

Latest posts

Top Bottom