If bad things happen in threes...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...then I'm due for one more.

Sunday is my usual check out the wife and daughters cars day. I'm always messing with something on my Blazer 4x4 so I dont have a day set aside to do maintenance on it. But,while I was at it I decided to check my stuff out in it even though I knew that everything would be all cool with it. Glad I did. Was checking battery cables and for some reason I decided to pull on my hot side to the starter to make sure it was tight and it just came up in my hand- the connector to the starter end had rusted out and broke off. No problem I figure,just go in the garage and grab a new battery cable and install it. When I got under there to get to the starter,pretty easy on a lifted truck, the starter was all rusted out looking it self. Been doin alot of mudding when I go down to my land on weekends,plus I dont remember when I put that one on. Ive had the truck since I bought it new in 88' so I know Ive put a few on. Crap. What to do. My dad would have said it would be a good idea to go ahead and change it out while I'm there if something doesnt look right,even though its been starting just fine. So I went to OReillys,grabbed one,brought it home and installed it. Another one of those unexpected $100 days.

Last night I'm out in my shop/studio working late,went in the house to grab something,10 minutes later came back and I see a little puddle of water slowly snaking its way thru my garage to and under the garage door and out. Opened up the closet where I have my hot water tank and central heater/blower unit and water is just trickling out of the bottom of the hot water tank. 15 years on a Kenmore Power Miser unit with a 6 yr warranty and I dont remember any problems with even a pilot light going out on it in the 7 yrs Ive been here. Guess it was time to go. Now I have to decide between a 50gal like what we have now, or a 40 thats on sale. Wife wants another 50. Guess its gonna be alot more than a $100 day today. O well. Gotta have it.

The cheap basturd that I am I am cautiously looking around for something else to go wrong thats going to cost me more money.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah...it sucks to have to spend the money, but be grateful you found it the way you did. Could've been a lot worse - like having a bad starter out in the field, or having a hot water tank bust while you're out of town.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well man if it's any light at all, for everything that we have to replace at least we then have new ones. It's not like throwing the money out the window. To me peace of mind and confidence in what I have is worth a few $$$

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hey look at the bright side... at least you are able to do the labor.
factor in an additional $75 hr on top of parts to hire a pro.

like I always tell my sons, mechanics have an advantage in life.
they are also cursed with being able to do the job, instead of hiring it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom