If you have a kid in school,educate yourself about the federal Common Core Curriculum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you are 100% correct and guess who controls the software and has input on the curriculum etc.

Im all capitalist and no way am I a 99%er raving on about evil corporations etc but it is what it is. a money making machine and our kids are paying the price.

If you're a free-market capitalist, then you too should be disgusted. All too often people like to sing capitalism's praises but then want to sweep-under-the-rug that nasty lobbyist-driven government involvement (that gives some of these corporations a leg up over their competitors by way of government intervention which is definitely not free market capitalism).

A thumb on the scale is a thumb on the scale - there's no dressing up that ugly fact.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been afraid that my youngest who is 16 and has always struggled with his school work anyways is not going to be properly college prepped when he's finished with HS. His older sisters all came through public school just fine over the last 6 years and went off to college with the right tools, one just graduated last year and is heading for grad school this year. This last one though is getting beat up by the system.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you from some of the homework I have seen my daughter bring home this common core crap is exactly that, CRAP. The ways they are attempting to teach English & Math is alot more confusing than it used to be. I'm a draftsman & I use math on a daily basis & when I looked at her homework I could solve the problem easily using traditional methods & came out with the same answer as the example in her book, yet the method in her book was not only different than I was taught in school but a extremely longer version. Same for her English, it didn't have typical noun, verb, adverb, ect. It had these funky marks above the words which had different meanings. It seems like a useless change in which will only cause more confusion.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, like anything else...info on the www is all fine and dandy, but get involved at your kid's school. Spend time there. Ask to shadow your child during the school day. See first hand what is going on. I promise it will be an eye opener.

I have two kids in elementary school. The one thing I am learning is that if something makes sense....schools seem run away from it like the plague. There needs to be accountability in student performance. If little Billy is not proficient with all of the skills taught in 3rd grade, he needs to become proficient BEFORE BEING PASSED TO THE FOURTH GRADE! That makes sense. But it RARELY happens. Therefore my 5th grader is stuck in a class where around 50% of the other kids are working on skills that they should have mastered in 4th, 3rd, or even lower grades. It's not the teachers fault. There are OUTSTANDING teachers in her school. But the kids are figuring out that they can jack around in class, not do their work, not do their home work, disrupt the class ...basically fail a grade level....and they are still going on to the next grade. So my daughter's teacher is trying to teach a few kids at a 5th grade level and challenge them and remediate a whole bunch of kids who never passed 4th grade.

I have no problem testing our kids on what they should know. But if they do not pass the test....its back to repeat the grade again. It makes no sense to pass kids on when they aren't ready.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with commonly agreed upon standards. I have a problem with the federal government being involved in K-12 education in any form or fashion whatsoever. :(

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with commonly agreed upon standards. I have a problem with the federal government being involved in K-12 education in any form or fashion whatsoever. :(

Ditto to infinity on that, however, it is the old story about the camel's nose under the tent and we can thank Peanut Jimmy for that FUBAR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom