Is Being “In Shape” Important?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're chastising yourself for a sedentary lifestyle, keep this in mind. Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it...don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

(Excerpted)

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're chastising yourself for a sedentary lifestyle, keep this in mind. Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it...don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

(Excerpted)
But exercise will make your heart beat slower the rest of the time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

(Excerpted)
We are going to have to disagree on that theory.
A healthy heart with a good diet is going to last a lot longer than a heart fed with fatty and highly processed foods.
There is no published study that says a heart is only good for 1 billion beats and then it dies.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m 76 yrs old my last Bp. ck was 126/76, I’m not a diabetic glucose was 91 and A1c was 5.7, I do take a low dose cholesterol 20 mg. I’m 5’11 and weigh 255 so my bmi is not ideal 🤣, I mow my own yard with a walk behind mower, spin trim, and edge every time I mow weekly, play a little golf still, avg about 6000+ steps a day. Never smoked maybe a beer a week at the most, eat what, I want in moderation,

So staying shape is relative in my book. Don’t tell this old fart to get my self a personal trainer, walk3 miles a day, and lift weights. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Want help?
I get it off, the change my meds and it comes right back on. The doc even admitted that the Gabapentin they have me on causes weight gain, but without it my legs hurt to bad. The joys of being diabetic with nerve damage in my legs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m 76 yrs old my last Bp. ck was 126/76, I’m not a diabetic glucose was 91 and A1c was 5.7, I do take a low dose cholesterol 20 mg. I’m 5’11 and weigh 255 so my bmi is not ideal 🤣, I mow my own yard with a walk behind mower, spin trim, and edge every time I mow weekly, play a little golf still, avg about 6000+ steps a day. Never smoked maybe a beer a week at the most, eat what, I want in moderation,

So staying shape is relative in my book. Don’t tell this old fart to get my self a personal trainer, walk3 miles a day, and lift weights. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
I have to lift weights every time I pee........
That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The good news is even as out of shape and beat up as my body is, I know I can survive most fights. Of course I fight dirty as hell, but then I do not start fights. I will do my best to end one as quickly as possible but I will not start one. Someone attacks me then I am under no compulsion to give them a chance. I need to I will wrap my O2 tank around their head.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
No your still talking out your ass. Physical every year, heart rate test every year.
A physical and heart rate test do nothing to show their ability to do the job of a cop. Many of them are obese and can’t catch their own breath, never mind a fight or a foot chase. Next time you’re in OKC take a look at some of them. There is no physical fitness test once they pass the academy. In the USMC we had to pass a fitness test once a quarter. Cops should have to at least yearly. It’s not fair for those in shape to have to carry those who aren’t. I do think most firemen are in better shape. They should be since they have all the time between calls to work out if they want to.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get it off, the change my meds and it comes right back on. The doc even admitted that the Gabapentin they have me on causes weight gain, but without it my legs hurt to bad. The joys of being diabetic with nerve damage in my legs.

You're not alone. I'm not diabetic but am on 3600mg of gabapentin daily. I don't think I could get below 150 if my life depended on it. Though I will have to say that the best luck I've had with any eating regimen is to follow the carnivore diet and toss in some fasting here and there. No more bloated gut, no more GED, no more arthritis meds, and my pain meds do seem to work better. Didn't help with the migraines, which was the reason for giving it a try in the first place. But ... It helps enough overall that I see me sticking with this way of eating ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom