Is Being “In Shape” Important?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any fat guys reading this thread? Didn’t think so. They avoid stuff like this like broccoli and baked chicken
Whoa whoa…..I’m kinda fat but I like both of those. I just enjoy Dr. Pepper too much. And still trying to figure out the life changes going from blue collar work to sedentary white collar and working from home. It allows me to spends tons of time with my family. Just need to carve out prime time spend on exercise.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spoken like a hefty man with no plans to do anything different. You sound like my brother. Tim is this you jacking with me?
I'm not Tim. I am 6' 2" and weigh about 225. I'd like to drop about 15 pds but, for the most part in pretty good shape. I'm 68 and have no problem crawling over and under the old car I'm restoring for as long as 16 hours a day.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I ran 6-10 miles a day, 6 days a week till I was 49. Then New Hips, Both Knees, Both Ankles, 4 Shoulder Surgeries and one new one, 4 back surgeries, 5 foot surgeries, Metal Pins in both Wrists, 4 plates in my neck, Metal in my Back a few places, and several other out patient surgeries.

Fire Service, Racing Extensive OffRoad Bikes, Off-road Vehicles, Sports of every kind, Boxing, Martial Arts, Grappling, Wrestling etc etc. Then you wear all your **** out!

You don’t know ****. Fire and Police do have requirements. Wonder why I had to pass a Bicycle Heart Test every year or lose my job? Learn before you spew ****.
Actually OKCPD does not. You can apologize when you find out for yourself if you like. They used to have a height/weight ratio before hiring but affirmative action changed all that.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think what is more important than being in shape or not is whether you're on big pharma's frequent flyer list or not. Once they have you hooked it's hard to get off the good stuff. Can't tell you how many coworkers that pop lortabs/Ritalin like candy. You can always tell when they get a refill. SMH

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually OKCPD does not. You can apologize when you find out for yourself if you like. They used to have a height/weight ratio before hiring but affirmative action changed all that.

No your still talking out your ass. Physical every year, heart rate test every year.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran 6-10 miles a day, 6 days a week till I was 49. Then New Hips, Both Knees, Both Ankles, 4 Shoulder Surgeries and one new one, 4 back surgeries, 5 foot surgeries, Metal Pins in both Wrists, 4 plates in my neck, Metal in my Back a few places, and several other out patient surgeries.
I ran four miles every other day for several years. My legs and feet started hurting really bad so I went to the doc and he told me to stop. He said for my tall body frame I am doing more damage to my body by running than helping it.

I hated every minute of running but when I was done, I was so glad I did it. But after I stopped, then had two surgeries on my feet I wished I stopped earlier. Still have issues on my joints and legs from the time I ran but have shifted to walking instead. It's not the same but the only thing I can do.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran four miles every other day for several years. My legs and feet started hurting really bad so I went to the doc and he told me to stop. He said for my tall body frame I am doing more damage to my body by running than helping it.

I hated every minute of running but when I was done, I was so glad I did it. But after I stopped, then had two surgeries on my feet I wished I stopped earlier. Still have issues on my joints and legs from the time I ran but have shifted to walking instead. It's not the same but the only thing I can do.

Yep, I over did everything. If you still suffer any foot pain, there is some new techniques that help, Imhad Alcohol Injections in my feet, killed all the nerves, so much relief. I have no regrets, but some just cannot do what some others can. I don’t judge anyone, I am a little ****ed up myself! LOL!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s a requirement or peer pressure, but firemen around here seem to be pretty fit.

I’m 5’9” and weighed 195 three years ago, but I made up my mind I needed to lose weight and did. I got down to 165 for a while, but I’ve kind of stabilized at 170. I’d really like to get down to 150, but my wife doesn’t want me to get that low and says I’ll look sickly.
It’s hard for me to believe now, but when I got married 33 years ago, I weighed 135.
When I got married to the first mistake, I was 6' tall, weighing 145, sporting a 28" waist, on the wrestling team and bucking hay bales every summer the old fashioned way.
When getting into the Army, the physical training was less than my wrestling coach had us do so I breezed through that part.
I do think genetics have some part in maintaining a healthy body but 99% of it is your lifestyle and diet.
Very few people live an active lifestyle now. Most weekends are spent in front of the TV watching goofball and other sports as well as evenings after work where they sit in an office all day, then walking to the parking lot which is their extent of exercise.
When working, I never took the elevators, always the stairs. Never checked out a pickup or atv to get to the other side of the power plant preferring to walk carrying a tool bag on the shoulder, summer and winter.
Age eventually forces a slow down in daily activities but you never give up going as far as you can every day. I still walk a lot at 70. It's 3/10 mile to our mailbox with an 8% grade for half of it I walk daily to check for mail. 100 yards from our home to the shop when most days are spent walking back and forth. 1/2 mile walk one way to the deer stand during hunting season, hiking the trails in Colorado during the summers and so on.
The walking app on my phone registers over 6000 steps a day.
Does it help in a self defense situation?
Absolutely. I've seen some 30 year olds that would fold like a deck of stacked cards with one punch they are so far out of shape.

Latest posts

Top Bottom