Is Being “In Shape” Important?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For most people, losing weight is a simple matter of burning more calories than you consume. I went thru a rough pretty couple of years a few years ago. I wound up losing almost 60 pounds in just 5 months simply by changing my diet, walking and doing basic exercises (sit ups, push ups, etc). Nothing glamorous, no gyms. I cut out sugar and a lot of carbs. It was a pretty amazing transformation and just takes a little mental discipline.

When I first started walking I was in so much pain I couldn't get to the end of my block...2 houses a way. At the end of a month I was able to run almost 1/2 mile.

It took a lot of effort but made a huge difference in my life.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How important is it.......it depends.

A man who exercises regularly will, on average, live 1.5 to 3 years longer than a man who doesn't. Is an extra 1.5 - 3 years of life worth the time and effort of regular exercise, probably not. If we want to look at quality of life rather than quantity then regular exercise is worth the time and effort, on average. But what is quality of life? So we are back to, it depends.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any fat guys reading this thread? Didn’t think so. They avoid stuff like this like broccoli and baked chicken

Fat guy here.

Wrong I love steamed broccoli, with some kosher salt and some real butter tossed lightly. Heck yes.

I also eat chicken often, I prefer a thigh myself, normally marinated in a Caribbean jerk sauce then grilled, mmmm mmmmm placed over a little rice, some broccoli on the side, a fine meal.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Way too many "conservative right wing gun owners" seem to think they'll be sitting on their porch with a lemonade and picking off Antifa goons.

Also, being overweight and relying on a CPAP every night because of obstructive sleep apnea means you really have no chances of surviving the collapse of civilization.
I wouldn't bet on that, it is happening at a pretty fast pace.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a lot of people either over estimate their fitness or have probably never been in a fight or both lol. You can expend a lot of energy in a 30 sec fight. Add to it being in a hot ass Walmart parking lot in the middle of July and its 113 and you just got off work from a 12 hour day. I mean. Yeah. Probably want to give yourself the best shot you can.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The question is it as important for self defense reasons as training in shooting/self defense?
If we are talking self defense we have to define what is self defense. It might be different for you than it is for me, for me it is an attack or threat of an attack from a little more than 2 arms length. I wish I could remember the numbers, I do remember that far more often than not attacks come from UNarmed offenders. Legally an unarmed attack is not considered a lethal attack and cannot be legally responded to with lethal force, there is Disparity of Force but Prosecutors rarely consider it as valid. In instances where a victim is attacked by an UNarmed attacker then phyisical ability might be the difference in going home or going to the ER.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your joints are just like any mechanical device in some ways. Like a lip seal is supposed to last for so many hours of use. Your joints will last being bent so many times and then it's worn out and needing to be replaced. So why wear out your joints working out? Save them for when you need them.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Your joints are just like any mechanical device in some ways. Like a lip seal is supposed to last for so many hours of use. Your joints will last being bent so many times and then it's worn out and needing to be replaced. So why wear out your joints working out? Save them for when you need them.
Spoken like a hefty man with no plans to do anything different. You sound like my brother. Tim is this you jacking with me?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran 6-10 miles a day, 6 days a week till I was 49. Then New Hips, Both Knees, Both Ankles, 4 Shoulder Surgeries and one new one, 4 back surgeries, 5 foot surgeries, Metal Pins in both Wrists, 4 plates in my neck, Metal in my Back a few places, and several other out patient surgeries.

Fire Service, Racing Extensive OffRoad Bikes, Off-road Vehicles, Sports of every kind, Boxing, Martial Arts, Grappling, Wrestling etc etc. Then you wear all your **** out!

It amazes me that OKCPD and others have no physical fitness requirement once an officer graduates from the academy. I am a big supporter of law enforcement but there are a LOT of cops who need to drop some pounds and get into better shape. Same thing with Fire department.

You don’t know ****. Fire and Police do have requirements. Wonder why I had to pass a Bicycle Heart Test every year or lose my job? Learn before you spew ****.

Latest posts

Top Bottom