Is it hunting season yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about ya'll but I'm about to go stir crazy waiting for hunting season and I still got a ton of work to do yet on my property! Maybe cuz I didn't get to hunt in Oklahoma hardly any at all last year. That probably doesn't help.

My youngest daughter will be after her first whitetail during the youth season. Furthermore, I got a buddy from PA coming in for the whole week of muzzleloader and I am trying to get everything set up and perfect for him. This guy gave me a $8000 caribou hunt last year, gratis, that he could not make and he did not want to go to waste. So I want my operation professional as can be when he gets here. I've been making trips down every 2-3 weeks to work on the place.

Anyway, the wait until October is about to kill me and I'm not even gonna be the one hunting!! Well I will during muzzleloader, but I will set my buddy up with the prime spots every time.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be honest. It's been so hot and I've been so busy working that I'm having a hard time getting excited about deer season this year. With my youngest son living up there and taking care of the place (mowing, etc), I haven't even been up yet (I've normally made at least a couple or three trips by now.) We also have a new group of fence hunters next door, and every time the owners lease to new people, I always figure THIS will be the "if it's brown, it's down" group.

As far as preparations, I've had to replace all my old cellular game cameras with new models due to ATT stopping service to 2g devices, and I've got 4 for this year instead of just three like the last several years. Between the cellular cameras and the regular game cameras, I'm planning to have about 8 or 9 cameras scouting for me. I found a deal on ebay and bought over 200 lithium AA batteries, so I won't be having to make runs to WalMart this year.

I'm really wanting to get feeders up and filled by the first of August and probably put out at least my cellular cameras (I normally wait until the first of September), but I'm hoping that seeing deer on camera will boost my excitement level.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been working on mine. The rain on the weekends has hurt me some though. I'm trying to get some cedars thinned out on one of my places and I need to fix some kind of blind that I can get into and out of without spooking deer on one of my places.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking for a lease, with no luck, so back to public land it is, unless I find something last minute. I have some responsibility items (i.e. putting up the rest of the fence in the backyard) that I have to get done before I allow my wife to see me frolicking in the woods (read: trimming shooting lanes, scouting, hanging stands). Given this heat, it may be best to do my clearing and stand stuff later in the year. I usually get it done by September 1st so I can dove hunt and give the area time to rest before the season, but it may not happen this year.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will not hear me complain about the rain! We've had more this year around the country I hunt than we have had in a LONG time. Finally getting some ponds filled back up that had gone almost totally dry. (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!)

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
going up friday to spray the foot plots at a buddys place. will stop by my place and do a little feeder maintenance in prep for tossing corn in a couple weeks.
got up early saturday morning to watch some local hunting shows. it got my heart going and i'm ready to get to work!

Latest posts

Top Bottom