Is it just me...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could sell their great, great grandfather's truck, gun or anything else for that matter.

I would give my err..., yeah you know..., to have something like that from my ancestors.

Everything doesn't have the same emotional ties to one person it does to another . I have bought really nice guns from the kids and grand kids of people who had no interest in guns, same for vintage camping gear and knives .

I do not know the whole story behind those divestitures , did they get along with the elder who passed , etc ? Too many factors in those decisions. I bought a really nice Model 70 in 270 from a guy who wanted an AR he ineritied the hunting rifle and couldn't afford an AR so he sold it.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sentimental....but also will say I don't necessarily want ALL my dad's guns. Not saying I'd turn them down but there's certain ones that invoke memories and I know were his favorites, (man does he love his BSS's) and others he got because it was a deal at the pawn shop. The latter don't mean much to me...
Sure, I could keep them all when the time comes but could also let his grand kids have some so they have something to remember him by.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Everything doesn't have the same emotional ties to one person it does to another . I have bought really nice guns from the kids and grand kids of people who had no interest in guns, same for vintage camping gear and knives .

I do not know the whole story behind those divestitures , did they get along with the elder who passed , etc ? Too many factors in those decisions. I bought a really nice Model 70 in 270 from a guy who wanted an AR he ineritied the hunting rifle and couldn't afford an AR so he sold it.
I just don't get it.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could sell their great, great grandfather's truck, gun or anything else for that matter.

I would give my err..., yeah you know..., to have something like that from my ancestors.
I’ve not yet, but also don’t see a point in owning things I can’t play with. At the end of the day, it’s just stuff.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not that sentimental on worldly things all my memories is in the back of my mind that i carry with me everyday and no man can take that away from me.
I told my brothers and sisters that if they wanted dad's and grandad's gun after dad died they can have them as long as they just dont get them to turn around and sell them, i already have my supply and what they had i already have copies of them in my own safe.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, it really depends on who we are talking about. If it is my grandma or grandpa on my mom's side, if I had something if theirs you wouldn't be able to take it from my cold, dead hands. I'm fact, I have a single shot, break open shotgun that was my grandpa's on my mom's side that is one of the most valuable guns I own (and I'd probably be lucky to be able to get 100 bucks for it). I'll literally die before anyone else has an opportunity to own it.

Now, if we are talking about something from my grandparents from my dad's side, if I were unlucky enough to possess anything from them, I'd sell it to the first tweaker that gave me a nickle for it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad was an avid bird hunter and hunted most of his life with a Remington 1100 12 ga my Grandparents gave him when he was in college. In the early 2000’s he decided he wanted a 20 ga over/under, so I located him an english stocked Beretta Onyx. When he sold his business and retired, his employees and the new owner gave him a Merkel 20 ga side by side. He liked it but never loved it like the Beretta. All my Dad’s guns are in a safe at my Mother’s house, but for some reason I really don’t understand, my brother thinks the Merkel needs to be sold. My Mother absolutely doesn’t need the money, so I know she’s not the driving force behind the idea. If I thought she did need the money, I’d buy the gun myself.
Guns I’ve bought myself have little to no sentimental value to me and can be sold at any time, but the guns I’ve been given by my parents or inherited from grandparents are sacred cows in my safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom