Is it just me...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on the fence about inherited guns,,,
I don't assign any extra value just because a relative owned it,,,
Perhaps this is because as I grew older I found I didn't much care for most of my relatives.

Now having said that I do own two heirloom guns,,,
One is the 1943 K98 Mauser my grandfather gave me for my 12th birthday,,,
It was a WW-II bring-back rifle that my great uncle brought back to give to his little brother.

That was my grandfather.

I'll never sell the rifle, not so much because it once was my grandfathers,,,
But because it was a gift that I used to take three deer in high school.

The other is a Colt Frontier Scout that was owned by my Mom,,,
I grew up with this pistol being the carrot that got me to do my chores and such like behavior.

If I was a good boy and didn't piss Mom off during the week,,,
She would let me shoot a box of .22 shorts on the weekend.

I'll never sell this pistol but again, not because my Mom owned it,,,
But because of the fond memories I have of shooting it off of the back porch.

I've talked to friends and they all say that after I die,,,
It will be just another used gun on the market.

I am 71 years old with no progeny to give my guns and stuff to,,,
My two siblings have no need or desire for them at all.

My one nephew is 59 years old and has no kids,,,
So if I leave Mom's gun to him he has no one to pass it on to either.

I do have a small circle of younger friends,,,
They (or their kids) will get the majority of my guns.

My plan is to gift them away slowly,,,
So I can at least have the pleasure of gifting them in person.

It's not that I'm not sentimental,,,
It's more that I have very few people to be sentimental over.

I have joked in the past that I wanted to be buried with the Colt revolver,,,
But I recently learned that the cemetery where my family has plots,,,
Will not allow anything valuable to be placed in the casket.

Oh well,,,
I'll figure something out.

Aarond

Aarond

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could sell their great, great grandfather's truck, gun or anything else for that matter.

I would give my err..., yeah you know..., to have something like that from my ancestors.
I see that ALL the time. and it just pisses me off. People have ZERO respect for ancestors.

I say this because my brother and I just inherited 1600 MOL acres along with equipment to work it. and piles of junk. My grandparents were both college educated teachers who decided to become farmers and just buy farm after farm until they passed it to my last uncle whom for the last ten years had done nothing. We have discussed selling and keeping, and we will keep to pass on to the next line. The only guns were 22's and a 410 ALL in bad shape. Except for a KG-99 that one uncle gave to his brother. And it was in the same spot he placed it in the late 90's

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on the fence about inherited guns,,,
I don't assign any extra value just because a relative owned it,,,
Perhaps this is because as I grew older I found I didn't much care for most of my relatives.

Now having said that I do own two heirloom guns,,,
One is the 1943 K98 Mauser my grandfather gave me for my 12th birthday,,,
It was a WW-II bring-back rifle that my great uncle brought back to give to his little brother.

That was my grandfather.

I'll never sell the rifle, not so much because it once was my grandfathers,,,
But because it was a gift that I used to take three deer in high school.

The other is a Colt Frontier Scout that was owned by my Mom,,,
I grew up with this pistol being the carrot that got me to do my chores and such like behavior.

If I was a good boy and didn't piss Mom off during the week,,,
She would let me shoot a box of .22 shorts on the weekend.

I'll never sell this pistol but again, not because my Mom owned it,,,
But because of the fond memories I have of shooting it off of the back porch.

I've talked to friends and they all say that after I die,,,
It will be just another used gun on the market.

I am 71 years old with no progeny to give my guns and stuff to,,,
My two siblings have no need or desire for them at all.

My one nephew is 59 years old and has no kids,,,
So if I leave Mom's gun to him he has no one to pass it on to either.

I do have a small circle of younger friends,,,
They (or their kids) will get the majority of my guns.

My plan is to gift them away slowly,,,
So I can at least have the pleasure of gifting them in person.

It's not that I'm not sentimental,,,
It's more that I have very few people to be sentimental over.

I have joked in the past that I wanted to be buried with the Colt revolver,,,
But I recently learned that the cemetery where my family has plots,,,
Will not allow anything valuable to be placed in the casket.

Oh well,,,
I'll figure something out.

Aarond

Aarond

I am available for adoption ;)

My grandparents gave stuff to family and friends while they could. One of my grandpas spent the last 10 years of his life giving away most of his stuff. Stories went with the stuff. That made it valuable.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am available for adoption ;)

My grandparents gave stuff to family and friends while they could. One of my grandpas spent the last 10 years of his life giving away most of his stuff. Stories went with the stuff. That made it valuable.
Nobody wants to listen to my stories so they don't get anything. Lol.
I don't have anyone I'd pass anything down to cause I know they wouldn't carry the tradition on. It's just free money to them and they could care less if it was melted down .

leo78lion

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad was into milsurp rifles so much that when he moved in with us he basically had a bed a dresser and 10 gun cabinets in his room. After he passed I was set on holding on to everything, but i realized I didn't have space. So I decided to keep al the ones I knew he loved and sell the rest. Unfortunately I just didn't have any other option except buy a larger house. Fortunately I know he would understand. I will admit it still bothers me when I sell a rifle or pistol that belonged to him.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see that ALL the time. and it just pisses me off. People have ZERO respect for ancestors.

I say this because my brother and I just inherited 1600 MOL acres along with equipment to work it. and piles of junk. My grandparents were both college educated teachers who decided to become farmers and just buy farm after farm until they passed it to my last uncle whom for the last ten years had done nothing. We have discussed selling and keeping, and we will keep to pass on to the next line. The only guns were 22's and a 410 ALL in bad shape. Except for a KG-99 that one uncle gave to his brother. And it was in the same spot he placed it in the late 90's
Well, what would you do if you inherited literally hundreds of longenbuger baskets, and other “collectible” stuff you or the rest of your extended family don’t care for at all? We tried to find people that would like it and give it to them. I kept 1 tiny basket. I also have no use for the Santa clause collection or little figurines collection. Or the collection of ice boxes. My dad and his siblings refused to have an estate sale, so we had to work to give it away.

Last edited:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

"I see that ALL the time. and it just pisses me off. People have ZERO respect for ancestors."

Yep. I've spent the last 14-years (give or take) compiling a complete ancestry record of my family history from the time that my relatives stepped onto American soil in 1854 to present, to include historical and contemporary documents, records, and photos.
So far the information fills 11-2" binders and a 'Family Tree' wall chart that lists 243 names (just the males with my last name) including their spouses and children - and I haven't even started yet on putting together the lineage of non-surname (non-family name) spouses and kids.

I talked to both of my adult kids about what I was doing and about my wishes that they (usually the oldest daughter of each generation takes the reigns) would take over being the 'guardian' of our family history after I'm gone, and continue adding to the information that I have so lovingly worked on for so long, and pass that task of keeping up on our family history on to each succeeding generation to come.
This is especially important being that my son is the last living member of our Family Tree with my last name (surname) so when he dies, our family name ends as well.

Sadly, neither of my two adult children nor my four adult grandchildren have shown any interest whatsoever with maintaining our family records or history. It's sad, and makes me angry to know that everything will eventually just end up in a dumpster.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, what would you do if you inherited literally hundreds of longenbuger baskets, and other “collectible” stuff you or the rest of your extended family don’t care for at all? We tried to find people that would like it and give it to them. I kept 1 tiny basket. I also have no use for the Santa clause collection or little figurines collection. Of the collection of ice boxes. My dad and his siblings refused to have an estate sale, so we had to work to give it away.
My wife had the same thing happen. Her mom collected half dolls, stick pins, cow shaped creamers, salt dips, milk glass, etc, She had them all cataloged. No one in the family wanted them so guess who took them. They take up one full closet in our home.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could sell their great, great grandfather's truck, gun or anything else for that matter.

I would give my err..., yeah you know..., to have something like that from my ancestors.
After my grandpa died my grandma gave me his 30-30. My uncle decided he wanted to "borrow" it and use it to hunt one last time so of course my mom said okay. That was over 30 years ago and I haven't seen it since. This same uncle ended up with his 51 Chevy truck too. That thing is just sitting out in his pasture falling apart.

We don't really get along anymore or I'd go ask him about both.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After my grandpa died my grandma gave me his 30-30. My uncle decided he wanted to "borrow" it and use it to hunt one last time so of course my mom said okay. That was over 30 years ago and I haven't seen it since. This same uncle ended up with his 51 Chevy truck too. That thing is just sitting out in his pasture falling apart.

We don't really get along anymore or I'd go ask him about both.
If you don’t get along already there is not much to loose in asking for them.
All he can do is say no. It may be polite and it may not. But least you will know where you stand.

Cutting frayed ties with family members can be therapeutic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom