Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a 180 series, it broke the bolt roller tab.... Common problem so Ruger made the bolt lug solid. The 181 through 185 series rifles were known for breaking extractors and firing pins, and Ruger wouldn't sell parts, had to send the gun back. Had a 185 that went back 3 times. I kept telling them the extractor cut was milled wrong, but they never fixed it just kept sending it back with a new extractor which would break. Finally dremeled the bolt cut out for the extractor and the extractor lived, but then the firing pin tail broke off. Sent it back and they wouldn't fix it because the bolt had been "modified". They sent it back unfixed. By then I was sick of them. If you need some parts for one of yours Corgi, I'll be happy to tell you which stock pond out by Ordway it is in!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Face it folks, unless you have dreams of being an operator in the resistance, the Mini 14 is just fine for most of our needs. I am adding a wood stock to mine because I love wood stocks. Soon as I can find a cheap scope mount and rings I will be adding a scope so my tired old eyes work a little better. Also if I run across one cheap enough some day I may add a bayonet just for $hits & giggles.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watched a friend die because his M-16 jammed, is that good enough reason to hate them?

It's irrational. It's an inanimate object. And they're not the same gun they were whenever this incident supposedly happened. Maybe your friend should've been a little more adept at clearing stoppages. Not only that, but early rifles had issues not because of the gun, but because of the ammunition. Cleaning the gun solved most of those issues. Of course, those issues have been sorted out since the mid-60s, so there's that. It's pointless to try to talk to you about this because you're irrational on the subject and refuse to even consider a reasoned argument.

If you (or anyone else) think the M16/M4 family of rifles is not one of the finest, most adaptable rifle platforms in the history of firearms, you're not being objective...you're just being obtuse. Because by almost any objective measure it is. The gun isn't the most popular firearm in the country because it sucks.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Face it folks, unless you have dreams of being an operator in the resistance, the Mini 14 is just fine for most of our needs. I am adding a wood stock to mine because I love wood stocks. Soon as I can find a cheap scope mount and rings I will be adding a scope so my tired old eyes work a little better. Also if I run across one cheap enough some day I may add a bayonet just for $hits & giggles.

I find it kind of ironic you badmouth the AR but you're willing to outfit your Mini with a scope and cheap mount/rings and use it with sub-standard magazines like ProMag crap.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it kind of ironic you badmouth the AR but you're willing to outfit your Mini with a scope and cheap mount/rings and use it with sub-standard magazines like ProMag crap.
When I say cheap mount and rings, I mean find some good used at a reasonable price, not made in China and sold by Wish.com.

As far as the Promag mags, since using 55 & 65 gr rounds instead of longer hunting rounds I was given, the promag works OK. Not as good as my 2 Ruger or even the 2 metal Promag mags I have. But failures are rare now. Since I will not be going into combat anytime soon and I keep the 2 Ruger 20rd mags for home defense I do not see a problem. Now if I was heading into combat or even a shooting comp I might agree with you, but my O2 kind of precludes that happening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom