Is this legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I buy a gun and end up selling it to someone else, that's a straw purchase? Ive always thought that was when you asked someone to buy a firearm for you.
Apparently everyone but you thought that was the poster's intent.

So if you ask someone to buy a gun (with their own money), so that you can purchase it from them afterward... is that not a straw purchase?

Or do you have to give them the money "up front" for it to be considered a straw purchase?

You actually have me wondering now... :D
___

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So if I buy a gun and end up selling it to someone else, that's a straw purchase? Ive always thought that was when you asked someone to buy a firearm for you.
No, if you buy a gun with intent to sell it ,that's straw . If you buy a gun and then later tire of it or whatever it is legal to sell. That is not what the OP stated in the question.

" any law that prohibited someone over 21 from buying from a dealer then selling to me" There is no other way to take that statement than as a straw purchase. OP did not ask if it was legal for someone to sell them a gun.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, if you buy a gun with intent to sell it ,that's straw . If you buy a gun and then later tire of it or whatever it is legal to sell. That is not what the OP stated in the question.

" any law that prohibited someone over 21 from buying from a dealer then selling to me" There is no other way to take that statement than as a straw purchase. OP did not ask if it was legal for someone to sell them a gun.
I don't see where this differs from half of the folks selling guns here. Or the ones who bought the osa receivers with intents to resell them.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Intent is the magic word of the day folks.
If you purchase a firearm for someone else with the INTENT of circumventing laws restricting that person from purchasing it themselves; is considered a straw purchase.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A straw purchase or nominee purchase is any purchase wherein an agent agrees to acquire a good or service for someone who is often unable or unwilling to purchase the good or service themselves, and the agent transfers the goods or services to that person after purchasing them.

Firearms​

In the United States, a straw purchaser of a firearm at a federally licensed firearm dealership who lies about the identity of the ultimate possessor of the gun can be charged with making false statements on a federal Firearms Transaction Record. Note that in this case, purchasing the item for another person is ipso facto illegal, regardless of that person's status as a legal possessor. If a firearm is purchased as a gift, the transaction is not a straw purchase, and the person buying the gift is considered the end user. It is illegal for any person not in possession of a Federal Firearms License to purchase a firearm with the intention of resale. Private purchases in lawful sales made outside of federally regulated dealerships are not subject to such rules and are federally legal unless the gun is used in a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Private purchases in lawful sales made outside of federally regulated dealerships are not subject to such rules and are federally legal unless the gun is used in a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser.
Intent is the magic word of the day folks.
If you purchase a firearm for someone else with the INTENT of circumventing laws restricting that person from purchasing it themselves; is considered a straw purchase.
What are you, BATFE? Get outta here with that intent stuff :laugh6::laugh6::laugh6:

Latest posts

Top Bottom