Is your gun safe visible from a window outside of your house?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine isnt. Not saying where my safe is but its sure not visible from the outside, or from the inside when visiting me, etc. When I grew up my dad was a cop, if you were a visitor to our house you didnt see his gun safe.

Apparently the man shot in the face and killed in the surprise door kicked in home invasion on Tulsa's east side night before last was targeted by the 5 thugs according to his gun safe. They were going thru back yards and looking into windows looking for a victim to rob and they picked them to rob because they had seen his gun safe from a back side window. The news is calling it a 'totally random crime', meaning I suppose that the attackers didnt know the victims at all versus most home invasions where the cops say a high number of the victims had had contact with or knew their attackers in some fashion.

My house you first have to get thru a locked gate and a 6' cedar fence, then thru the dogs, before you even get to my back yard. All of my neighbors on all sides of me also have wooden privacy fences and most have dogs- you just cant walk thru any of our back yards.
Then you cant see into our house thru our windows at all anyways from the outside. I have dark solar screens on the outside that I brought from California that are what we used out there. On the inside we have double shades up- bamboo shades on the inside that are always pulled down and dark shades outside of those that are down only about halfway for some light and only during the day hours- theyre run back down when the sun is going down. Plus both sides and half of the front of our house have no windows. Ive made it pretty hard to peep into my house.
all that and no home alarm???

Some people think they live in fort Knox I've got news for ya.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all that and no home alarm???

Some people think they live in fort Knox I've got news for ya.
Alarm? Yes. Fort Knox? Not quite. Just doing what I can to feel safe for me and my family. I'm also blessed to have good close neighbors who we all watch out for each other.

The other 2 places I own are a big old 19th century house Im restoring in midtown Des Moines and my main home, a little A-frame cabin house Ive lived in for almost 20 years back in a holler a few miles down a dirt road that is another few miles from the main highway, Hwy 4, 7,000 ft up on the Sierra Nevada mountain in northern California, near Bear Valley. It pretty much takes a 4x4 to even get to it, a snowmobile in the winter. I like that just fine. My neighbors up there are all a weird non trusting bunch who have all been up there also for many years and we're all spread out by the big trees. Quiet and fairly safe, we watch out for each other. Living up there so many years is why I dont feel so safe when Im staying in the city.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so what if you don't have a place in your home where it can't be seen? Closets are a no go....I don't like the idea of putting it in the garage either...so where to put it? Every room in the house as windows...if its in the living room, visitors can see it. I'm up for ideas.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made sure to take down my fence, cut the hedges and I always leave the blinds up and curtains open. I was afraid if I didn't, people may have a hard time seeing me doing the forbidden dance in my virgin seal-skin thong.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All jokes aside, the TW reported today from the victims neighbors that these guys had been pretty much casing the neighborhood for weeks. They even drove up in the victims driveway once while he was working inside the garage with it open. Seems he made a habit of leaving the garage door open while he did yard work- something alot of people do. Hell when I was a kid our garage door was always open and my dad would be working on cars in the driveway or the yard or whatever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom